Textile lowers

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Emilien
Boat Number: MPS292
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Textile lowers

Post by Emilien » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

Hello,
What are the pros and cons of textile lowers? I've seen some on new B6 but one might think there is too much creep for such a small length.

Cheers,
Emilien

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Textile lowers

Post by Shu » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:33 pm

I use Vectran which doesn't creep much compared to Spectra/dyneema. I oversize it (5mm) and once the splices set and the mechanical stretch is taken up, they seem to be pretty stable.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Emilien

Post by Emilien » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Hello Shu,
This benchmark by Marlow shows that latest dyneema now outperforms Vectran:
http://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/dyne ... 202014.pdf

Do you manage to splice both lowers to the exact same length?

Emilien

Post by Emilien » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 pm

All right, found a lot of valuable infos in this topic (thanks Dan):
viewtopic.php?p=6438#p6438

What's the setup of the best english teams, rigging-wise?

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 am

Skiffr,
The graphs in the article/advertisement you linked show that the newer Dyneema types outperform Vectran in terms of elastic stretch. However, Vectran is conspicously absent from the creep (time dependent) graph. I like being able to set my standing rigging, and after the intitial mechanical stretch/set period (a couple days of sailing), repeat the settings. Dyneema will continue to grow, Vectran, not so much.

My lowers are very close to the same length, but I have a lashing/adjustment that allows me to fine tune the total length. Same thing can be accomplished by turnbuckles or a purchase system.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Emilien

Post by Emilien » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:34 am

Eh, that's suspicious, I agree. Do you have any numbers to qualify the creep of vectran vs those recent dyneema variants?