Building at 14 at home

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
frow3n
Boat Number: noboat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Building at 14 at home

Post by frow3n » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

I am quite interested in a 14 and was wondering if its a boat that could be built at home?
Would it be possible to use my design or would I be required to use a current design?
Furthermore what sort of cost could I be looking at?

Thanks,

Fred

Dicko
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Building at 14 at home

Post by Dicko » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Here's a thread on Shu's homebuilt boat

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=865

you will just need some plans to start with.

Dan H
Boat Number: 1515

Post by Dan H » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm

You can use whatever design you like and wherever you like - as long as it measures as an i14 you can come and race. Class rules are just off the main page in .pdf
You can build to other guys plans as long as you pay a royalty if required. I believe there is some freeware out there.
What you got planned? Are you tasty with tools?

frow3n
Boat Number: noboat

Post by frow3n » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:02 pm

I have no idea what I've got planned :)

I need to speak to the crew first hehe :)

george

Post by george » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Doable but plenty of work.
Archie and Katie's boats were meant to be home built, but we had access to all the facilities at green marine, and very generous friends who knew how. When they couldn't help we paid up for guys who also knew how, largely as they were going to be pretty special and we didn't want to spoil it. Learnt a lot though.
Pamela and The Hoff were altogether more amateur. Designed in the pub by Tom Partington to my specification, built in the garage under Mark Tait's flat. First laminating Mark or Douglas had done on that scale. I pretended I knew what I was doing. We still needed to hire in laminating help from Wayne for a few jobs, partly as he was the only person small enough to fit in the bow, but also to finish the job before the season, or douglas's marriage, was over. Could never have done it if I hadn't picked up so much doing the first boats, or had the time and enthusiasm.
Depending on how you value your time, a new professionally built boat is probably cheaper.
Anyway, none of the boats are slow! Amazing feeling sailing (and winning!) in a boat you built yourself.