Sail Measurements

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chris Johnson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sail Measurements

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:51 pm

While there is certainly no "standard" for much of anything on a 14, I'm curious to know how consistent the main sail luff length is for most boats/rigs. I'm running into a little more difference between my luff length and that of another boat than I had expected (another sailor is planning to use my boat at worlds and is trying to have a new main built that will work on his boat after worlds).

Measured on my mast from the top of the boom to the upper band, I get 6980mm. That's on a Proctor mast.

Does anyone happen to have an idea of what is considered "normal" there? Or the same measurement from their mast?

Thanks!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sail Measurements

Post by Shu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Chris,
I think mine is pretty typical at 6900, maybe a little on the short of average side. If your friend is going to subsequently use it on his own mast, he could just have it cut for his "A" dimension, assuming that is shorter. Being a little short would not be a disaster. Alternatively, he could have it made to fit your dimension, then have his sailmaker shorten it for his rig after worlds. Now I know why you wanted to use my boat for worlds - 3" more room under the boom for the crew. :wink:
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Mine is 6850 (B5 HM), which is what was the measurement on the old mast (Willets)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks!

It looks like most measurements are reasonably similar.

We've looked into the issue with the difference between my boat and another and it turned out to be due mostly to a minor tape reading error. Problem solved. I like it when they're that easy!