TackTick RaceMaster battery replacement - How to

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

TackTick RaceMaster battery replacement - How to

Post by EdS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 am

The tactick that came my boat promptly ran out of battery when i got the battery out of the garage.
I have to admit i have never looked at it thus far while sailing, so it is a glorified stop watch.

Having phoned Raymarine and gulped at the £124 fee for a new battery i started googling how to do it, unfortunately only the micro compass techique is shown, so here is how i did it.

Before I start and/or anyone else does this, this is not the approved method, it voids the warranty and the case may not be waterproof afterwards, i did it knowing i might ruin it and if you do you should consider that chance. My compass is 7 years old atleast and a second hand replacement is less than what Raymarine wants, so i was happy to risk it.
I take no reponsibility for damage to any unit you attempt to play with.
photo (55).JPG
photo (57).JPG
peel off the sticker round the outside to expose the screws
photo (56).JPG
circuit board attached by 4 screw. be careful with the solar panel. It comes out in one piece
photo (60).JPG
the orientation of the batteries under the screens, two further battieres are hidden under the screen aligned paralley to the side of the circuit board from the visible batteries.
There are 4 coin batteries with PCB tabs attached to the circuit board under the screens.

The batteries in place are sanyo ml2430-hj1 3v and 90mAh with a 24mm diameter i think.

Have got on the web, they appeared to be available in the USA for 4 usd and only one place in the uk had them for £9 each but they couldnt do next day delivery.
Given that yesterday was POW -2 days I needed them quickly.
RS online had some similar batteries but 6mm bigger diameter. Given that i wanted to fix it for the weekend i ordered these, £22 inc next day delivery.
photo (61).JPG
The inner two batteries now mounted on the back side of the board, make sure you put the double sided sticky foam back underneath to ensure it doesnt short out.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: TackTick RaceMaster battery replacement - How to

Post by EdS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am

photo (59).JPG
It lives - note the buttons need to be connected for it to turn on, it doesnt just spring to life.
photo (58).JPG
the batteries i removed
photo (62).JPG
Note the lack of any clearance, but it does fit and work.
- So the last thing is to remount the board in the case, i dislodged the solar pannel which is stuck on with a foam pad and two blobs of glue. a minute later with a glue gun and that was rectified.
- The battery on the back of the board doesnt interfere with the back of the enclosure. Until i repositioned the foam pads i did get a short once it was all mounted so watch for that.
- When reassembling the careful with the O ring seal, this is what makes it waterproof and work at getting constant pressure.

So in summary, you can do it in 30 mins and for about £10 if you are prepared to wait for the batteries or you can do it for £25 ish if you want it fixed tomorrow.

Hope that helps someone, i searched for ages and ended up just winging it.
Roaring Forties GBR1524