Moving the Jib Stay out 300mm from the stem

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pirate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Moving the Jib Stay out 300mm from the stem

Post by Pirate » Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 pm

US1112 is an ICE design around 1996, havingthe Jib stay attached to the stem. We converted to a self tacker from an overlapping Jib and lost 1sqm of sail area. Currently we are going to build a new main. I understand that it is possible to move the head stay out 300 mm from the stem to gain more area. I am sure this effects the C.E. Has anyone doe this and what are the ramifications?

Matt & Ed
US1112

mcghan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moving the Jib Stay out 300mm from the stem

Post by mcghan » Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm

I moved the jib stay forward about 10 cm on my B3. Had to do it to prevent the larger jib from getting stuck on the mast in tacks in light air and that's as far as I could go without changing the way the tack attached (simple loop around tube). There was no notable change in boat balance; still no helm when sailed flat :) . The biggest change was the optimum clew board position. Had to go up two holes for the same leech profile. We are still a bit under maximum sail area, limited a bit by the forward mast position.
Attachments
CAN610_2010_jib2.jpg