Average rake range and how to measure it

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Average rake range and how to measure it

Post by EdS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am

Following the debrief when I was in Longbeach it appeared most boats are running similar rake settings despite the significant differences in the set ups.

Would some people mind sharing their range of settings.
I am trying to get range of base (light/medium/heavy) setting for my boat and also to check the settings i inherited with the boat.

I appreciate these may be guarded secrets but a general ball park would be great.

The next question is when measuring rake do you do it with zero uppers tension or with the normal setting?
and where do you measure to/from?

Thanks for the input if you are willing to share.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

joe.bersch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Average rake range and how to measure it

Post by joe.bersch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am

Ed:

Only one person in the U.S. considers this top secret info. The rest of us are happy to share.

I currently measure my rake with the uppers off- off the mast that is! When I had my B5, measurements were done with the uppers all the way slack.

Light Air, Board down 8150, tension 28-32
Full Trapping, board coming up 8100 tension 32-35
Depowering, board up, leads out 8050 tension 35
Should we really be out here? 8000 tension 35

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 am

EdS,
Great questions again. With modern boats I.E B5 on (boats with the mast aft to the present setting)B6. The rake measurement is ... from black band at the top With NO cap shroud tention but a little rig tention to get every thing in collum, (28-32, loose). It should be a range of 8m. for heavy air, to 8100mm. fore your light. Some guys in North America pull it all the way to 8150mm. in the non trapping drifters .This Is Base. The measurement is to the transom edge outside the rudder pod.
IF you have a B2, Or B3 Type with the mast step further forward this measurement will be different.

Hendo.

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 am

Nice work Joe ,faster typing then me , must have one of those desk jobs! ..
See you in the shop.
Some guys at 8050mm. pull there rig to 37. Paul Galvez pulls his to 40 !.
Remember,Aussies start at 8m. and they don't leave the dock inless it's blowing over 15 Knots..

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524

Post by EdS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks chaps, extremely helpful once again.

I hadn't thought to ask for the rig tensions as well.
I have a B5 so those will work, tape measure session coming up.

Regards,

Ed
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Mr. Bersch, I'm writing to inform you that you are under investigation for revealing national secrets :wink:
Ed, these are the rakes I use as well. Mostly because the guys above told me to. They do seem to work.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Also, note that the tension numbers Joe gives are for a boat with a 5' staying base (shrouds out on the rack struts). For those of us with shrouds at the gunwale (approx 4' staying base), the numbers tend to be higher, hence Hendo's comment about 37 or even 40 for the heavy air setting.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183