Twist grip purchase system for pivoting stock rudders

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Twist grip purchase system for pivoting stock rudders

Post by EdS » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 am

Good morning,

Twist grip and pivoting stock.
I have been trying to work this out for myself for a while but I can't see an easy way of not impeding the tiller movement.

I have bought a twist grip mechanism from ovington and want to set it up as a double ended system, so twist grip one end, traditional cleats rope at the other.
The plan is to have three course settings: upwind, downwind and help! then a fine tune.

Boat is a B5 with large volume bieker outrigger ( what is the word) I think it is the standard shape,
This rules out the B6 style where the line drops down to the lower pivot and forward.

Tille already has two blocks and holes in it from a previous owners attempt but they blocks are mounted a few cm in front if the pivot point which I wouldn't have thought this worked well.

Does anyone have a similar system and if so are they willing to share a picture or schematic?

Thanks in advance.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Twist grip purchase system for pivoting stock rudders

Post by EdS » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Katie has shared her twist grip system.

Sorted and very simple.

Thanks,

Ed
Roaring Forties GBR1524

jeffreylebowski
Boat Number: USA 1118

Post by jeffreylebowski » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 am

I'm about to put a twist grip system on USA 1118. I have pivoting foils but the actual twist grip mechanism could be constructed similarly. I have a design in mind and will post a drawing of it soon... and pics when I build it.

The principle is the same thing as the Ovington design, but much cheaper. Priced out on McMaster Carr the pieces should be about 40usd.

Drill a 5/8in hole in the end of the tiller. Mount a stainless 1/8in wall thickness tube in the hole. Run a teflon tube through the inside of the stainless tube. Run a stainless rod on the inside of the teflon tube and secure using clamp collars or set screw collars. Drill a hole in the stainless rod on each side of the tiller. A piece of spectra goes through these holes to the foil adjustment line. Use hose on the ends of the stainless rod to attach the tiller extensions on both sides.

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 am

How will you ratchet the mechanism so that it doesn't unwind?

jeffreylebowski
Boat Number: USA 1118

Post by jeffreylebowski » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Good question. My idea was to pressure up on the collars against the stainless tube inside the tiller. That really only has about a 50% shot of doing the job.

The line leading from the foil adjustment post on the rudder head is lead through a ratchet block which will take some of the load off of the twist.

I have some other ideas, but none simple enough to be really worth screwing with. I'm open to ideas!

Eike

Post by Eike » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm

The Katie System.
She uses a Twist Grip by Ovington. Just setting it up on a Jason King B5 in Germany which changes from flipping winds to fixed wing rudder..
The ropes which go inside the tiller go to a micro block inside the tiller(each rope to one). String is winded up the twist grip from both ways(do and undo lift) with rope from the twistgrip through the microblock und back towards the wwist grip, but fixed with a knot underneath the twistgrip throug a hole in the carbon(makes you turn more, but the ovington ratchet therefore holds the force). the two micro blocks insude the tiller should be set half way up the tiller, when in neutral foil position, so when you are winding up one side(autamitically winding of the other) you got enough space of adjustmend.notice that the blocks leading the rope from the tiller down to the blocks on the back of the boat can flip! so it wont adjust when stearing the boat. String(and block) have to be in line with the point of turning of the rudder, also for not adjust while stearing. The block on the long "carbon stick" has to be able to flip downwards, as angle of rope pulling chances during adjustmend. Rope which is for adjusting down wind position(see picture 2) is going into the boat(simply attatched to something), but can easily be monted somewhere closer to the back of the boat.

Hope I could give you some help with it and you understood my " technical english"

Open to further questions(=
Attachments
CIMG4365.JPG
CIMG4364.JPG
Eike
GER 37 (B3 Z)
Erholung pur 1.1