Uppers led 2" behind the mast. Creaking and excessive bend?

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Uppers led 2" behind the mast. Creaking and excessive bend?

Post by EdS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 am

Hello,

Not sure how to post images on here. But when I work it out I will sort it out.

Here is a link to the boatyard who built my boat which shows the mast foot configuration.

http://theboatyardatbeer.com/images/mast.htm

The left hand (or aft most) blocks are the purchase for the uppers which draws them back a significant distance from the mast.

The things that I have observed.,
-Every time we bare away there is a freaky ping which is is the upper being loaded up with the coming into contact with either the boom or something Behind the mast.
- If the purchase is behind the mast it must be inducing more bend in the mast? Shouldn't it be inline with the mast base so any rake doesn't affect the uppers tension.

The purchase system is 3:1 on each upper individually with a single 6:1 purchase affectively joining the systems.
It is all mounted vertically at the rear of the mast plate. If I can work out how to post a photo it would be easy to explain.

So any thoughts, am I being paranoid about noise and is the location of the purchase system important?

Thanks for any input,

Ed
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Dan H
Boat Number: 1515
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Uppers led 2" behind the mast. Creaking and excessive bend?

Post by Dan H » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Ed, wouldn't worry too much about it.
Easy way to sort it is to stick the caps (uppers) onto the same venier as the main shrouds - pretty much everyone does this these days.

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524

Re: Uppers led 2" behind the mast. Creaking and excessive bend?

Post by EdS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Dan,

Moving them to the main shrouds sounds like a good idea.
Are most people running fully adjustable rigging now? I guess to rake you have to adjust both shrouds and uppers.
when I am back next week so I will go and see if I can see and example of how I might do it.

Thanks for the response.

Ed
Roaring Forties GBR1524