Spin halyard choice

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sorta
Boat Number: CAN612
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spin halyard choice

Post by Sorta » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

So, I have to replace the spin halyard on my B5 Aero not because it is worn, but because it binds and twists terribly. I think it is Marlow Excel Pro (maybe 5mm) at the moment with the forward half having the cover removed.
Any input out there on what is a good product to put in this halyard? I would obviously prefer something with a spectra/vectran core to allow me to remove the cover on the part of the halyard that never touches the crew's hand.
Also what diameter is prefered.
I have heard that a 2 patch kite needs 80ft ; can anyone confirm this please?
cheers,
Sorta.
CAN 612

matt d
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spin halyard choice

Post by matt d » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I've heard of Tornados taking the core out of the retrieval part of their spin halyard to solve your problem. Obviously you would need to keep both the core and cover intact in the area that goes through your spin cleat.

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not sure I'd recommend this route, but we made ours. Spetra core (3mm I think), then a nice comfy 5mm cover pulled down over the middle (de-cored the line first) and spliced into the spectra. It is really nice compared to the last 5mm (end to end) that had before, but it was a pain to build. APS offers to build one for you, and the price seems right.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Kirk

Post by Kirk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I've been using this for about 4 years, and like it quite a bit. Runs very well. It's a fairly hard/dense line. I remove that portion of the cover that isn't required which is about the last 25'. My twisting/knotting problem is now gone too.

http://www.apsltd.com/p-23440-dinghy-co ... 6-5mm.aspx

Yes, you'll need a bit less than 80'. I just made one a couple weeks ago and ordered 80'.
USA1186

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I use this stuff: (Samson Flightline)
http://www.apsltd.com/c-1605-dyneemapol ... raids.aspx

I like my crew, so I use the 6mm and strip the cover for about 26 feet on the halyard end, and about 7 feet on the retrieval end. Other than the first time, when I just uncoiled and ran it without untwisting the coils first, I have had no troubles with kinks. I too started with 80 feet, and have since cut a couple feet off.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 am

76 ft. is the magic number..
Hendo