Building/Getting a Dolly

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
niknarly
Boat Number: 1072
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Building/Getting a Dolly

Post by niknarly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey,
So i'm needing a dolly for my 89 Cross3 Penultimate.
I've been doing a lot of looking around, i've seen some nice examples around this site especailly shu's dollie for his new boat.
I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money,
The 4 options i've come to are,
-Seitech Dolly (~900$, and they're back ordered) <- don't really wanna do this)
-Intensity Sails 420 Dolly, that i'd rebuild the cradle to fit my boat (~700-600$
-Or get my own triangle shaped dolly built out of metal($??? (like to be under 500)
-Wood (my last resort)

Can't seem to find any used dollies around my area (Victoria BC),

If i am to get my own dolly built, I'm going to take measurements from seitech dollies, and a couple 29er and 49er dollies i've seen around the area. Does anybody have any tips for construction, little mods you wish you had.
And any way to save money for this process. I'll be making the cradle out of fiberglass to fit the dollie.
My main concerns:
Wheel's and Axel, what type, and best way to get these.
and cost. and metal type. Thinking galvanized, but i don't know too much. Wood of course another option)

I'd like to stay under $500

Thanks, any help, photos, measurements etc. would be most appreciated

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Re: Building/Getting a Dolly

Post by Hendo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 am

The best one around is the 49er dolly(trolly), as far as the aluminum part. then the wheels are allways for 1"(25mm)shafts, those you might
get from Seiteck then the splash to your hull is your own glass and ply. I'm making on for myself.

niknarly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by niknarly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 am

Did some looking into it, doesn't look like i'm going to afford a seitech.
Looks like i'm going to build my own dolly out of wood.
So any tips to that, would be great.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Dollies have a hard life. Seal it very well with epoxy, then coat it with a UV resistant paint.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

niknarly

Post by niknarly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey so i was wondering what any of you have used for a sling on a dolly or cradle.
I was thinking of 4 inch webbing (which i can't seem to find), or doubling up 2 inch webbing.
Any ideas for this

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm

I assume you're talking about the sling supporting the hull, Sietech dolly style. This is nice on the hull. However, you need a form-fitting rigid shape that will keep your boat from capsizing on the dolly.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Fourteen
Boat Number: unknown

Post by Fourteen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

gents
Could be another option, Aluminum extrusion. There are numerous suppliers, it can be cut with a hack saw or metal blade on a power saw, numerous corner braces are avalable and the pricing is quite reasonable. Last time I purchased some it was $80CAN for a 10Ft length of 1"x1" extrusion. Try here http://www.8020.net/

They have a pretty good distributiuon network as well so there is a reasonable liklihood you can source some locally (Globally)

Fourteen