Morrison 10 refit - Input needed!!

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GER_PL
Boat Number: GER 242
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Morrison 10 refit - Input needed!!

Post by GER_PL » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Dear friends,

I need your help again with my Morrison 10.

Large parts of the gelcoat / anti-slip coating are flaking off (see e.g. here.), so I want to use this winter to put on a new coat. But first I have to remove all the fittings to have proper access to all areas, so now question #1:

How do I get of the racks?

Problem is that the rack supports are aluminum, the racks themselves are carbon (most propably not original, but added later), and the joint between support is ... glue? epoxy? Look yourself here. Any clever ideas?

And as we are talking about the racks: How is the connection to the boat constructed? I guess there is an tube bonded into the boat, which then goes into the rack supports. How long is that tube? What material? Aluminium or carbon?

If I have to dismantel the whole thing anyway, does it make sense to replace the supports by carbon tubes? In view of corrosion it seems to sound like a good idea ...

So, back to the original task: Recoating. Any ideas what the original coat might be? Maybe some can give me a contact to the guys from RMW Marine ... they should be around even when RMW is no more ... maybe they can help. Would make things a bit easier if I at least can use the same colour ... otherwise: What do you suggest for anti slip ... and also for removing the existing coating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

PS: Additional information: Sailnumber is / was GBR 1456 fka. "Flesh & Bood", a Morri 10 from 2001.
-----------------------------------------------------------
GER-242 - Dortmund - Germany

Eike

Re: Morrison 10 refit - Input needed!!

Post by Eike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Peter,

those racks are original and a part of the Morri 10 Design. That setup has been a problem on a few of those boats I know. I would only renew them if they are close to breaking, then you could thinkg about a whole carbon rack, but would cost quite a bit. Where are you based, close to Ovington Boats?
Regarding the gelcode: thought about sanding it back an d simply pait it with a few layers?! can also turn out well and may be cheeper using pait and some powder to create an anti-slip surface. Another option in case of whole repaintment would be covering the walked-on areas with this black foam called ProGrip. It's nice to walk on, always anti-slip, wet and dry, and is not harming your wetsuits like the other ruffer coatings.

hope this gives you a few answers.

For more questions
Eike
GER 37 (B3 Z)
Erholung pur 1.1

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable