Measurement Bumps

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GER_PL
Boat Number: GER 242
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Measurement Bumps

Post by GER_PL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Everybody,

could you please give me a short summary about handling of the measurement bumps on a Morrision 10? If I have it right, these bumps were put on to ensure the minimum width at the section 2134mm aft of bow, which was supposed to be 1118mm. Because of the pan-test, the bumps could be up tp 13 mm high.

Under the current rules, these bumps are prohibited, but the minimum width at that section now is only 1040 mm.

My conclusion would be that I can remove the bumps without changing anything else (provided the 1040 minimum width really is met, which it should, because of the bump height).

Am I right? Do I miss something?

Can anybody tell me how the bumps are built? I guess they are put on after the boat comes out of the mould, so that they are on top of the carbon skin? Right?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
-----------------------------------------------------------
GER-242 - Dortmund - Germany

Ed Clay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Measurement Bumps

Post by Ed Clay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Peter

Firstly your M10 isn't breaking any rules as it was built before 2005 and boats built before July that year don't have to comply with the taught tape rule - so if you want an easy life you can leave them as they are.

If you do still want to take them off, I would recommend a sharp chisel, then sand, fair and finish. On the M10 (and M11 and B4) the bumps are usually just stuck on and have no laminate or strength in them. Just be careful not to remove too much paint or any laminate with them. If you had an M12 the job would be harder as on those the bumps were part of the mould and are therefore structural and have nothing behind them.

Ed

GER_PL
Boat Number: GER 242

Post by GER_PL » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 am

Perfect. Thanks for your answer. Conclusion: Off they go, firstly because they are ugly, secondly because (non-I14-) people keep asking stupid questions about the hydrodynamic advantage of these "wings" and thirdly because I can :-)

CU.
-----------------------------------------------------------
GER-242 - Dortmund - Germany

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi:

try this trim saw $19 USD http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19731