Modified Howlett 1B

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
munkey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Modified Howlett 1B

Post by munkey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I have recently purchased a I14. I belive it to be a Howlett 1B modified to new rules.
The mast is aluminium with a carbon top and 2 sets of spreaders.
Can anyone help me with some basic rig settings?

Animal
Boat Number: Nzl10
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Modified Howlett 1B

Post by Animal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:04 am

post up some photos

munkey

Post by munkey » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:52 pm

I have attached some pics ( i hope).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as we don't have a clue where to start with this rig.
Attachments
International14 024.jpg
International14 045.jpg
International14 037.jpg

herr_zorzs
Boat Number: 1309

Post by herr_zorzs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

its definately a modified howlett1b - looks like mine

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:09 pm

You have too much bend in the lower part of the mast. Note the starvation creases radiating from the luff at the first and second battens. If you have check stays (I can't see any in the photos) tighten these. It appears you may be able to control the lower mast bend some by adjusting the partners aft or the mast step forward. The idea is to have the mast up to the hounds fairly straight, with most of the bend occuring above the hounds.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

munkey

Post by munkey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you tried it this weekend with a straighter lower mast and it looked much better.

What are people using as a base rake setting. I know each boat is different but I don't have a clue as to how much rake to have.

Any help will once again be greatly recieved.

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:41 am

Rake tends to be highly boat dependent as you said. Perhaps there are some here who used to sail a Howlett 1B and remember or have written down somewhere the rake settings. However, since you have a new rules mast on it, those numbers would be meaningless, unless you could do the math/geometry and determine the setting to get the same angle of rake. The older boats, like this one, seemed to have more upright rigs (less rake) than current boats. The best thing is to take it out on the water and see how it goes.

Having converted my own boat to a new rules I-14 rig, I had to experiment. I estimated the angle of rake and then went sailing. I tried to make it have close to neutral helm sailing downwind in moderate breeze with the spinnaker and the boat flat. Usually, there is some lee helm, but too much will push you off the boat. In light breeze, with the main and spinnaker sheeted closer to the boat, you are going to get more lee helm, but then you are usually sitting on the boat so you are more difficult to push off. Setting it up like this tends to result in healthy weather helm when sailing upwind, which will encourage you to keep the boat flat (which is fast).

Not sure if the above will be much help, but this class requires that all of us be tinkerers and experimenters.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 am

A few more notes on general rake settings. Once you develop a comfortable moderate breeze base setting, the general rule is more rake for more breeze, less for less breeze. This is more a function of what works well to weather, as spinnaker reaching in light air with less rake gives even more lee helm. If it gets light enough, one heals the boat a bit just to keep control of the boat. This helps keep the sail shape too.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183