Penny / OD

Moderators: Shu, rand

oliver1000
Boat Number: K1282
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Penny / OD

Post by oliver1000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Sounds a little more than essential - it sounds like it could be part of the mast supports

However, there are many bits of metal on mine - post photos and we'll have a look of specific bits that you are unsure about and someone will get back to you
Ollie Williams
K1282

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Sounds to me like a Cross III, they originally had two struts that attached to the front of the mast and attached to the shroud base. They were giant turn buckles, and you rotated the center barrel to move the mast forward and aft (at the gooseneck). You could effectively replace them using the same system as modern masts with spectra lowers...
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

give
Boat Number: not sure
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by give » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 pm

rand those are exactly what i'm talking about.

are they integral? could i just replace them with a standard metal shroud cable and just not have it adjustable? or even a metal rod? or just remove them completely?

also does anyone have running line measurements, sizes of lines and type that i could use as a reference?

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 am

You will want to have them adustable, at least to the point that you can set them up correctly. The adjustment could be a turnbuckle, or as simple as a lashing, or complex as a multipart purchase system. I use 6mm vectran to minimize stretch, since the geometry results in the vang having tremendous leverage on these.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

give

Post by give » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm

So it looks like I'm goig to have to build or have built my ram system. So that problem is sort of figured out.

But my newest problem is that I have prepped the hull for the epoxy repairs I have to do but while doing that I noticed that there is water stuck in the hull that I can't seem to drain out through the plug easily.

The plug is located aproxx 10" forward of the transom. And as much as I try to get it out it seems there is just more in there. So my question is, should I just drill out some holes to allow the water to drain through the bottom of the hull and then repair it with the other repairs or is there another way that I just haven't figured out yet?

gbrow36
Boat Number: 0000

Post by gbrow36 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to the OD14 world. Just purchased a Jibe Tech OD14. Got a great deal, however with all great deals its missing some things. The issue I have is the furling jib. The boat is missing the t fitting and furling swivel to attach to the mast. Does anyone know who might have the t-ball fitting? Or is there a different solution?

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:09 pm

aplsltd.com has a selection of t-ball fittings. I wouldn't worry about keeping the roller furling. Nearly all 14s now have fully battened jibs, so we manage without it.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Not really much point starting a new topic for this hopefully easy to answer question:

On my boat currently the upper shrouds are set in a diamond formation - i.e. run only through the upper spreaders and then to the adjuster - they don't run through the lowers.
I know most people have the shrouds running through the lowers as well, it there an advantage to this? or a structural reason? or even is this how they are supposed to go to support the mast most effectively? - The mast hasn't collapsed yet, and as it is currently horizontal this is a good time to move things.

I have a penultimate proctor rig, and it was set up like this when I bought the boat and I never really questioned it, and I was just wondering if anyone could answer any of the above questions/ remember how theirs used to be set up.

The picture has the current set up on the left and the proposed on the right (nothing is to scale) - there wouldn't be a need for changing the spreaders, wires or adjuster so the cost involved in making the change is basically some new tape.
Attachments
Mast setup.png
Ollie Williams
K1282

give

Post by give » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 am

ask your nearest rigging professional but id say you want the diamonds. from what i understand it is structural.

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Oliver,
Sorry I missed your post in August.
The spreaders need to bisect the angle of the shrouds. Otherwise you will be trying to bend the spreaders. Look at your diagrams. The existing setup has the upper spreaders bisecting the angle of the cap shrouds, as it should be. The proposed set up has the shrouds moved out to the much wider lower spreaders such that the upper spreaders will be bent downward by the force of the cap shrouds. If you can change the vertical angle of the upper spreaders, it should not be a problem.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Cheers steve, That makes sense now I think about it
Ollie Williams
K1282