Launching from the beach

Moderators: Shu, rand

koenraadvds
Boat Number: 1430

Launching from the beach

Post by koenraadvds » Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am

IMG_5859.jpg
Hey Guys

Can you give me some tips on how to properly launch an i14 from the beach. Tried it last Sunday but the breeze and the waves made it impossible. Also broke one of the joysticks capsizing in the shallow water. (stopt trying because I got scared and didn't want to break my mast on day one.)
The problem was the rudder/foil. There is no good way installing it beforehand, so you have to do it on the water. Things got very unstable trying to do so. So for now, I'll use my nonfoil rudder for practice.

Is there a rudder foil system so I can mount the foil but still launch from the beach? Any suggestions would be great!

mothra
Boat Number: CANADA

Re: Launching from the beach

Post by mothra » Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 am

Re: Beach launch - generally, you need to have the crew on the weather side holding the boat into the wind. Hold the rack, and just spin it to keep the boat unloaded. The skipper can install the rudder from inside the cockpit, or from behind. Obviously, a bit tough if the slope of the beach is steep or if the surf is strong. Best to find a sheltered spot.

Re: systems to lower from onboard - there are systems to do this that folks seem to have moved to after the casette style, but you would need to modify your rudderhead (blade side) and the rudder end of the tiller. The rudderhead needs to be modified to be 'flat' on the sides at the top, and the tiller side has two plates that mate with the rudderhead in the centre. There is a permanent pin that provides the pivot point, and a second pin that is installed once the rudder is flipped down all the way with a wing-nut. It is a lot of work to make this change and I would probably say its not worth your time. Some disadvantages - the rudder is always getting in the way of the boom while flipped up, and they tend to see more damage. If you're interested, I can take a photo of one.

koenraadvds
Boat Number: 1430

Re: Launching from the beach

Post by koenraadvds » Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm

mothra wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 am
Re: Beach launch - generally, you need to have the crew on the weather side holding the boat into the wind. Hold the rack, and just spin it to keep the boat unloaded. The skipper can install the rudder from inside the cockpit, or from behind. Obviously, a bit tough if the slope of the beach is steep or if the surf is strong. Best to find a sheltered spot.

Re: systems to lower from onboard - there are systems to do this that folks seem to have moved to after the casette style, but you would need to modify your rudderhead (blade side) and the rudder end of the tiller. The rudderhead needs to be modified to be 'flat' on the sides at the top, and the tiller side has two plates that mate with the rudderhead in the centre. There is a permanent pin that provides the pivot point, and a second pin that is installed once the rudder is flipped down all the way with a wing-nut. It is a lot of work to make this change and I would probably say its not worth your time. Some disadvantages - the rudder is always getting in the way of the boom while flipped up, and they tend to see more damage. If you're interested, I can take a photo of one.
Thanks for the advice

You'd have to be almost shoulder high into the water before you can slide in the T-foil. Next time, I'll try sailing without rudder until deep enough and then put it in from the boat.