1995 OD14 Rigging & Line Advice

Moderators: Shu, rand

RickyBraintree
Boat Number: USA262

1995 OD14 Rigging & Line Advice

Post by RickyBraintree » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I'm new to the Forum here with a recently acquired OD14 (USA262) out of NJ and currently residing in Austin, TX. I sailed these 'back in the day' and am looking forward to tinkering again with the boat and going fast. Now, on to the topic....

I've snooped around the forum for tips on rigging and appreciate all the information included. As I reset the boat and bring it back into shape I wanted to see if folks had any opinion on the following lines for the boat. I've tried to sample the lines left on the boat as best as possible so if anyone has any thoughts on sizes, technology, or length - your input is appreciated. I've also got a few re-rigging questions...

1) It looks like the GP trapeze wires are the same size (skipped wire should be longer - no?) and I'm looking to replace them as they were cut. Should I replace them with wire or is using a high strength line like a Dyneema single braid worth it?

2) Is re-rigging the mainsheet to dead end at the transom (a la laser) recommended?

3) Lines:

Main Halyard - 6mm Dyneema
Spin Halyard - 6mm Dyneema
Outhaul - 3mm Marlow Excel
Cunningham - 4mm Marlow Excel
Rig Tension - 4mm Marlow Excel
Pole Out - 4mm Marlow Excel
Bob Stay - 6mm Marlow Excel
Furler - 4mm Marlow Excel
Boom Vang - 6mm Marlow Excel
Main Sheet - 8mm
Spin Sheet -
Jib Sheet - 8mm

Thanks for the help and I'll get some photos posted as soon as possible.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: 1995 OD14 Rigging & Line Advice

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Ricky,
I've included a few comments and recommendations to your questions below. I'm sure others with more experience will also chime in.
-Steve

I'm new to the Forum here with a recently acquired OD14 (USA262) out of NJ and currently residing in Austin, TX. I sailed these 'back in the day' and am looking forward to tinkering again with the boat and going fast. Now, on to the topic....

I've snooped around the forum for tips on rigging and appreciate all the information included. As I reset the boat and bring it back into shape I wanted to see if folks had any opinion on the following lines for the boat. I've tried to sample the lines left on the boat as best as possible so if anyone has any thoughts on sizes, technology, or length - your input is appreciated. I've also got a few re-rigging questions...

1) It looks like the GP trapeze wires are the same size (skipped wire should be longer - no? a few inches longer. The helm and crew trap rings should be at the same height as the rail in the normal trapezing positions when the trap adjustment is dropped all the way to the knot) and I'm looking to replace them as they were cut. Should I replace them with wire or is using a high strength line like a Dyneema single braid worth it? Use 3mm dyneema.

2) Is re-rigging the mainsheet to dead end at the transom (a la laser) recommended? Yes, with the mainsheet block fixed in the middle of the bridle. You will need two tiller extensions with this setup.

3) Lines:

Main Halyard - 6mm Dyneema 4mm vectran. If it's cleated, a bit of cover there would help
Spin Halyard - 6mm Dyneema Your crew will love you. You can strip the first 24 feet or so and the last 5 or 6 feet (whatever works so the crew never has to handle the core either hoisting or dowsing). Some people use 3/16" (5mm) unstripped.
Outhaul - 3mm Marlow Excel Dyneema
Cunningham - 4mm Marlow Excel if dyneema cored, ok
Rig Tension - 4mm Marlow Excel if dyneema cored, ok
Pole Out - 4mm Marlow Excel Somewhere on this forum are some primitive diagrams of a one line system, where pulling on the halyard does it all.
Bob Stay - 6mm Marlow Excel ??
Furler - 4mm Marlow Excel
Boom Vang - 6mm Marlow Excel
Main Sheet - 8mm Yes
Spin Sheet - 7 or 8 mm depending on how much you love your crew
Jib Sheet - 8mm Yes, or 7mm

Thanks for the help and I'll get some photos posted as soon as possible. Yes, photos will help.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000
Boat Number: K1282

Post by oliver1000 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Ricky,

I've added some extra comments to Steve's

Ollie

1) It looks like the GP trapeze wires are the same size (skipped wire should be longer - no? a few inches longer. The helm and crew trap rings should be at the same height as the rail in the normal trapezing positions when the trap adjustment is dropped all the way to the knot) and I'm looking to replace them as they were cut. Should I replace them with wire or is using a high strength line like a Dyneema single braid worth it? Use 3mm dyneema.

2) Is re-rigging the mainsheet to dead end at the transom (a la laser) recommended? Yes, with the mainsheet block fixed in the middle of the bridle. You will need two tiller extensions with this setup. I tried this on my 1990 Penny i14 this year. It is definitely the way forward but you do need two extensions.

3) Lines:

Main Halyard - 6mm Dyneema - 3mm vectran (I use 4mm sk78 Dyneema - this is the ultra low stretch stuff), it depends a bit on
Spin Halyard - 6mm Dyneema Your crew will love you. You can strip the first 24 feet or so and the last 5 or 6 feet (whatever works so the crew never has to handle the core either hoisting or dowsing). Some people use 3/16" (5mm) unstripped. I actually use 5mm Excel Pro - a lot cheaper and is commonly used on rs800's (although I use it as my crew sourced it free - it does shred your hands though i wouldn't recommend it but it does work)
Outhaul - 3mm Marlow Excel Dyneema
Cunningham - 4mm Marlow Excel if dyneema cored, ok
Rig Tension - 4mm Marlow Excel if dyneema cored, ok
Pole Out - 4mm Marlow Excel Somewhere on this forum are some primitive diagrams of a one line system, where pulling on the halyard does it all.
Bob Stay - 6mm Marlow Excel - carbon poles are the way forward although I guess i'd probably use dyneema for this
Furler - 4mm Marlow Excel - The thinner the better - mine is 2.5mm as I found anything thicker kept binding in the furling gear.
Boom Vang - 6mm Marlow Excel - yeah should work
Main Sheet - 8mm Yes
Spin Sheet - 7 or 8 mm depending on how much you love your crew - you can always taper this once well away from your crews hands
Jib Sheet - 8mm Yes, or 7mm

Thanks for the help and I'll get some photos posted as soon as possible. Yes, photos will help.
Ollie Williams
K1282

RickyBraintree

Post by RickyBraintree » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks Steve & Ollie for the quick input. A few comments/responses/clarifications;

1) Trap. Lines - I will use some 3mm Dyneema.

2) Where should the bridle be afixed to the transom? on the transom itself or on the corner? Ollie, do you have a photo of your penny set-up?

3) Thanks for the input on the lines, My plan was for all the lines to be Dyneema cored.

Photos to follow after we thaw out from a TX winter this week.

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Bridle ends to the corner of the transom. Adjust the bridle height so that when you have pulled the mainsheet on HARD, it is two-blocked.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Not of the bridle set up
Ollie Williams
K1282

RickyBraintree

Post by RickyBraintree » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Lines are purchased, looking forward to getting them installed.

One more question: in using 3mm Dyneema for replacing the trapeze wire what is the recommended approach to affixing the line to the mast? They wire had a hook spliced on. Should that be the same setup or is there another recommended method?

Also, here are some photos...
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Not sure what you mean by a hook spliced to the wire. Are you referring to a t-ball fitting swaged to the wire, like the top two in the attached photo? If so, the bottom t-ball fitting can be used to attach a rope trapeze.
Attachments
157794.jpg
157794.jpg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah - you'll need to use the bottom T fitting in Shu's picture. Mine are one loop of rope for either side with an alpine butterfly in the middle at the mast fitting
Ollie Williams
K1282

RickyBraintree

Post by RickyBraintree » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:50 am

Silly me, I found a method for getting the Dyneema lines for the traps but tossed the old wires before measuring them.

Can anyone help me out with a length range for the crew/skipper traps on my '95 OD 14? I (skipper) am about 6'2".

Thanks.