Rebuilding an I 14

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mbauer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rebuilding an I 14

Post by Mbauer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Does any one reconize this design?

I am rebuilding the same model that somewhat survived a huricane. Is it possible to find original design specs?
Can a 470 mast be converted to work? Also it is important to note that this is for the fun of rebulding and for the fun of sailing, not for racing.

Thanks

Bauer, New Orleans
International 14 model.jpg

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Rebuilding an I 14

Post by rand » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 pm

That is a Cross III design, which was also the design of the one design 14 and its various flavors.

Perhaps somebody else has more info on the design or specs.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

mechoption
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mechoption » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Mbauer wrote:Does any one reconize this design?

I am rebuilding the same model that somewhat survived a huricane. Is it possible to find original design specs?
Can a 470 mast be converted to work? Also it is important to note that this is for the fun of rebulding and for the fun of sailing, not for racing.

Thanks

Bauer, New Orleans
International 14 model.jpg
Have a flip through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1217

Looks like a Cross III'ish boat to me :)
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 pm

It's a One Design 14 (OD14) based on a Cross III hull.

A 470 rig will resemble the OD14 standard rig (single trapeze) quite OK:

Sail area OD14 std 133 (95+38) sqft
Sail area 470 137 (97+40) sqft

More info regarding OD14 here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lglbgx ... &q&f=false

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... =od14&st=0

Mbauer

Post by Mbauer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the great insight and sharing of info. This was fabulous help. I look forward to a working winter and sailing summer. I will keep you posted.

MB

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 am

Id agree with everyone else that this is a cross III hull and an OD 14 [ same as mine :) ]. Any questions you have about it i would love to try and answer. also if you are looking for a rig, if i can eventually find a grand prix rig, i would work something out with you for my standard rig. but that is a pretty big if.
Matt Connolly
1987 Bruce Boatworks OD14 Standard Rig "ON A PLANE"
Live Slow...Sail Fast

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:38 am

P.S. judging from the spin pole length the boat was set up for a GP Rig. Mine is a standard, and the back end of the pole sits about at the mast when fully retracted.
Matt Connolly
1987 Bruce Boatworks OD14 Standard Rig "ON A PLANE"
Live Slow...Sail Fast