Sailing questions

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sailnaked6842
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sailing questions

Post by sailnaked6842 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey, after a relatively difficult day of sailing in high wind and waves yesterday I have a couple questions for you more experienced people. First off, how do you keep the mainsheet in the boat? We had lots of problems with this since anytime water got in the boat or the boat would hop around the mainsheet would shoot out the back and cause problems. Secondly, how do you launch and get the boat back on the dolly in 20 plus on-shore conditions with 2-3 foot or more waves? We had lots of problems with this and basically made fools of ourselves on the beach. Third off is there any special tricks to raising the spinnaker or is it just hope, pray and filled with lots of capsizing til you get pretty good at it? These were the majority of our problems. We can go pretty well in a straight line but tacking is sometimes a wet experience and gybing is out of the question, so is there any way to practice it on shore or is it basically cap-tack-sizing until you get good at it once again? Again, most of these questions will only apply to heavy air since anything under 8 to 10 we can pretty much keep the boat upright most of the time.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sailing questions

Post by Shu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 pm

First off, congratulations on being able to launch the boat in 20kts on shore with 2-3 foot waves, even if you did have some trouble. For both tacking and gybing, you want to be going very fast at the start of the maneuver, and you want to keep the boat flat. For tacks in heavy air, I find that at least one of you should swing out on the wire with one hand on the handle and then clip in once the boat settles down.

For gybes, get your butt on the rail or the wire as soon as the main comes across. Keep the mainsheet hard in for the first 1/2 second after it fills on the new side, then ease it out to the normal position. The spinnaker is secondary, how you handle the main determines success. That being said, giving the old spinnaker sheet a tug as you come into the boat will help the spinnaker blow through during the gybe. Practice these things in 8-10, and then 12 kts. 20 kts in these boats is difficult; don't be discouraged.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 am

sailnaked6842 wrote:Hey, after a relatively difficult day of sailing in high wind and waves yesterday I have a couple questions for you more experienced people. First off, how do you keep the mainsheet in the boat?
Tie the end of the mainsheet to a small length of bungy cord, then tie that bungy cord to the mainsheet block in the deck. That's how mine's rigged and it works great.
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 am

Hey Mech, thanks for the advice. That is actually a surprisingly good, simple idea. We'll have to rig that up next time we go out and hopefully that should really help since that's one of our biggest issues right now...causes a lot of capsizes, as I'm sure you would understand.