CAN 610 Blue-Footed Booby for sale

Moderators: Shu, rand

Pirate

Re: CAN 610 Blue-Footed Booby for sale

Post by Pirate » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi:

We are going to add a twist grip to US 1112 this winter. I was wondering what you did to make yours "flawlessly executed twist tiller adjustment".

Ed Chimney
US 1112

mcghan

Post by mcghan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:25 pm

I can't take any credit for the design. It was made by the previous owner. He put a plastic (delrin?) mandrel inside a short 2" diameter carbon tube on the end of the tiller. The mandrel was machined to have optimum diameter so that the foil only needed 1 or 2 rotations of the tiller to go from full on to full off. The T-foil rotates in the rudder blade so it probably requires less force to move than the current generation where the whole rudder moves. The universal joints were made out of turnbuckle parts. I modified these to make them a bit stronger as I have a tendency to lean on my tillers occasionally and the original universals would get bent out of shape. There was also a ratchet made by drilling dents every few degrees on the mandrel and using a piece of carbon cut from the same tube with a lump on the end, glued back onto the tube acting as a finger to click in the dents. This part works perfectly.

Good luck!

matt d

Post by matt d » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:40 pm

mothra wrote:Two sails in three days! Enjoying myself very much!

He wasn't kidding about the 'flawless' foil adjustment system too...
Enjoy mothra - that boat is wicked fast for a B3.