wanted 1940's molded fourteen

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scsmith
Boat Number: thistle 1285
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

wanted 1940's molded fourteen

Post by scsmith » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:02 am

I'm looking for a Douglas and McLeod molded plywood Fourteen, in any condition. Any molded hull from the 1940's in the US is most likely a D&M, or a boat finished out from a kit of theirs (Like Shock)

Anyone know of any rotting under tarps in barns, or just needing a minor facelift, or ready to go, I would love to know about it. They built 175 of them, it would be nice to get one more out active again. I grew up sailing Thistles, but its hard to muster a 3-man crew. So I would really love to have one of the old 14's. It seems to me that people that have them that may not care about them anymore are not likely to pursue a sale either, so I think it will take some 'networking' from people who know of them. Hope you can help.

Thanks,
email at:
jlp-scs "at" pacbell.net

Steve.

scsmith
Boat Number: thistle 1285
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

More on 1940's molded fourteens

Post by scsmith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:00 am

First, sorry I mis-spelled W.D. Schock's name. I am under the belief that Schock used hull halves molded by Douglass, but I don't really know that -- it could be that Schock actually made his own cold-molded hull(s). Of course he later made some fiberglass 14's. I would welcome anyone's insight on this - I am keenly interested in that period of history of the 14's in the USA.

Please, anyone know of any of Sandy Douglass' boats, I would love to know about it,

Steve.