Wanted - East Coast - Starter/Fixer-Upper/Budget 14

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JayCox
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wanted - East Coast - Starter/Fixer-Upper/Budget 14

Post by JayCox » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Hello,
My name is Jay and my buddy Toby and I are looking to buy a 14 in the northeast or on the east coast. Unfortunately, we're under-employed recent college graduates, and so our budget is pretty limited ($3k or less).

However, we're passionate 14 sailors, having first encountered one when a friend had a series of them up in Maine. The last one we sailed was USA 1118 (affectionally called "The Green Slime") which was most recently for sale out in CA. We crashed a lot, and broke some stuff, but learned more, and got hooked on reaching across the bay, both completely laid out on the trap. One time we hung her up on a lobster pot and managed to do a cartwheel. I'm preaching to the choir here, but that sense of everything relying on countering kinetic forces and monstrous leverage -- and absolutely screaming when it's all in balance -- just can't be replicated anywhere else.

Now that we're both in the Northeast (I'm in RI, buddy's in NYC, we grew up in ME in the summers, and the boat would probably live between ME and RI), we would love to start our long and doomed career of joint boat ownership. We are racers, and would get involved if possible, but I imagine racing is several (out-of-budget) boats away.

We have been continually impressed with the level of camaraderie and shared passion visible in this community -- I've already reached out to the Narragansett Bay sailors and plan to get on the water with them ASAP -- and hopefully you guys can help us out with some leads.

Willing to drive pretty damn far in my trusty '94 volvo, willing to talk about creative shipping logistics, especially if the price is right. Obviously we'd love as much speed/carbon as possible for the money, but we're willing to consider clean Pennies or dual-trap ODs.

Thanks!

Jay (and Toby)

JayCox
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wanted - East Coast - Starter/Fixer-Upper/Budget 14

Post by JayCox » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Well, we found a great boat for our budget -- a modified boat from the early 90s that looks plenty fast and fun. The only issue is she's on the west coast, in Seattle, and we're on the east coast, and my volvo can't quite travel that far. Fortunately, she's on a trailer that we're told can make the journey. We've put up a listing on uship but haven't seemed to attract a lot of bids. Anyone use a particular carrier to get boats east? Anyone know anyone who's driving east with a trailer hitch? We'd be willing to go up to 500 miles to meet the boat. I think around $5-700 is the best we'll do.

I know a lot of boats will be coming east for NAs in July, but we wouldn't want to take the space heading east and skip the return trip, and ideally we'd get her here sooner than that!

Would love any suggestions!

Jay

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Did you get your boat?

JayCox

Post by JayCox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes! We ended up buying a B3, 1135, from Ottawa. We sailed her out of Newport in 2010 (and raced the NAs, which was quite a steep learning curve!) This summer, Toby moved out to Madison, WI, where I was able to join him for a few months, since I work from home here in DC. Another friend of ours has a B2 out there, and with a few others (Jake Skala and his B3 out of Minneapolis, and the welcome addition of the M8 Ikazuchi from the West Coast fleet) we had four new-rules boats out there this summer. 1135 will be stored in Madison for the winter, and we're working on a winter trip to warmer climes.

Always an open question where the boat will end up, given that we have pretty transient lives at the moment, but she'll probably end up back on the East Coast at some point!