Volvo 70 ...faster than a 14 downwind??

Moderators: Shu, rand

greg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

volvo's faster than a 14

Post by greg » Sat May 27, 2006 8:49 am

I think the Volvo would smash us on all points of the couse - there is a lot to be said for a long waterline length and a nicely developed set of rags together with a good power to weight ration.
As Grant said I think the 14's simply accelerate and decelerate too much too quickly to even compete with the likes of the volvo which comfortably sits on 15kts down hill and has spurt upwards of this.

With regards to the speed potential of 14s....
Last winter we achieved 22kts boat speed in 20-25kts NW breeze on Sydney Harbour in a 1990 Buckland with a modern rig.
This Summer we achieved 18.9kts (while one& a half wiring), in 20-22kts of breeze in an ICE with racks and modernish rig.
Niether of these boats had winged rudders.

At Easter in a fully equiped B5, we achived 19kts in 20-22kts sailing on our ear to clear a headland - could have been more if we could have run with it.
I think with new skinny boats and winged rudders we should be able to achieve 20kts downwind more often and for longer. After having a quick dabble in a new design for a weekend over a large wind range I think it would probably be limited to about the 26kts boat speed mark.

If anyone can crack the 26kts mark - I'd love to see the pics.....I'm sure it would be an awesome ride. :P

aem27
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by aem27 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:18 pm

I can guarentee that a Volvo 70 would kick our arse.

I was doing 20 knots sailing an SB3 sports boat at Cowes this years and ABM AMRO 1 passed us, (at the same angle), as though we were stationary.