Volvo 70 ...faster than a 14 downwind??

Moderators: Shu, rand

Grant

Volvo 70 ...faster than a 14 downwind??

Post by Grant » Thu May 04, 2006 12:12 am

We all know 14's fly downwind in a 25 kt breeze. Would a volvo 70 be going straight past?...higher or lower?

Alan Vickery sailing WAM raced them in Melbourne...and got kicked off the course....I think he was keeping up?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Liquid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Liquid » Thu May 04, 2006 3:26 am

It came up on SA. Seems 20ish knots is tops for the 14...

Volvo's can average 24kts over 24 hours, so their max speeds are in the mid to high 30s. Didn't ABN 2 record an instant speed over 40? So, I'm going with straight past you like you're standing still, and probably lower. There's A LOT of righting moment in those beasts!

Todd

Grant

Post by Grant » Thu May 04, 2006 6:21 am

Liquid,
yea i have looked at the web site, and cant believe how fast they can go...of course that would be surfing huge ocean swells a lot of the time too.

It would be interesting though, we fly in the 14 on windy days, it would be pretty amazing to see a Volvo cruise past...I guess they would have different angles though????

paulie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by paulie » Thu May 04, 2006 7:22 am

Depending on who was above who, the wind shadow sure could be interesting :)

Definitely a drag race I would like to see though.
The earth's surface is 71% race course.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Thu May 04, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm still amazed that a 14 hits a 20kt wall... Maybe it just feels faster than it really is.

Todd

dynah moe

Post by dynah moe » Thu May 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Has anyone used a gps to see how fast they are going ? Sailboarders are using the ones you attatch to your arm for speed sailing. It would also be a good thing to use to see how much difference rig adjustments make when you are on the water. Would they be legal to race with?

Grant

Post by Grant » Thu May 04, 2006 10:54 pm

i have had a GPS on board, we did 20kts in 22 kts breeze. We have been a lot faster on other days.
I dont think the 14's get stuck at 20...I would imagine 25 pretty easily.

Post by Guest » Fri May 05, 2006 8:27 am

is this possible in a 14 though?

http://team.abnamro.com/web/show/id=92790

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri May 05, 2006 9:04 am

hate it when it doent auto log me in!

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri May 05, 2006 11:21 am

hmmm i have seen it done behind an 18ft skiff, but it was a very buoyant (however thats spelt) board, and it wasnt quite done with the tricks like that. i dont really think there is enough power in dinghys to be honest but it might be a good laugh to give it a try... ther'd need to be a fair breeze and a strong mast!

Grant

speed

Post by Grant » Mon May 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Liquid/Dynamo,

we sailed in 15-20 kts of breeze on the weekend, I took out a GPS and we hit 19.3 kts max......We regularly were doing 15 -16 downwind when it was about 15 kts of breeze.
It will be interesting to sail on a windy day and see the speeds...23-25 kts of speed easily I would think, and we will break that 20 knot "barrier" easily

Upwind speeds were between 8.5 high mode and 11.5 deeper.
It would be hard to tune with a GPS, the speed changes every few seconds. We were hitting waves and dropping 1.5 kts at times. A dinghy just declerates and accelerates too much. You would need to have the GPS set to an average reading every 30 secs or so to be useful...unless its really flat water

I dont think a 14 would ever tow a wakeboarder, a volvo 70 has a bit more weight and horsepower behind it

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue May 09, 2006 3:54 pm

I'll be interested to see what th top end really is!

Let us know.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue May 23, 2006 3:08 pm

Why not ask Rob Greenhalgh when he gets back... he's the only person I can think of that has won the Volvo Round the World Race AND the 14 Worlds, - or maybe Neil McD as he has also won the 14 Worlds and drove Assa Abloy in 2002 (fastest aggregate time and second overall) and Ericsson this time around - I think they'll give you the same answer...

Pete M

Post by Pete M » Tue May 23, 2006 10:33 pm

we recorded 50.3 kts in Hawaii - really

ha ha - I know it is impossible, but that was the max speed recorded

in real life we have recorded hi teens and low 20 easily and I know we have gone faster in big puffs. 25kts for 10 seconds should be doable.

Oddly, in the flat water it felt faster upwind and slower downwind. Must be that in the 15-18 kts of breeze we had the boats are nearly DDW and apparent breeze is near nil as they sail VMG deep, but upwind the VMG increases by cracking off and going faster. Note I said felt faster.

On the volvo question – can they sail as deep in those breezes? They are quite a bit heavier.

ballywho

Post by ballywho » Fri May 26, 2006 4:56 pm

we recorded 50.3 kts in Hawaii - really
What happened there? Was your GPS broken??