ICE Design

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
doug123
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ICE Design

Post by doug123 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 am

Can anybody fill me in on the ICE design hull. It was designed in Austarlia.
Just looking for some comments on its performance, handling etc. Picture attached

Thanks

burger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by burger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 am

Davis designed the Ice 14, there are heaps of them here in Aus, great boat, made much better with the addition of a t foil, they were a little hard down wind, but the foil has stopped the nose diving problem. Some where built with racks and no fordeck ( 1999 and on ) Jason king has built many of them.

doug123

Post by doug123 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 am

So I can assume that thier have not been any changes to the design. How does the design handle the chop/ smooth water to windward. Where are its strengths/weaknesses.

Cheers

burger

Post by burger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:15 am

I am pretty sure the ice had a few different versions, some with more chines than others, the later where double chine.
They love flat water, but find it hard against the Beikers in the chop.
The one in your pic is that swuzzel bubble

doug123

Post by doug123 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:11 am

No it is called "Magic Dragon"

Ned

Post by Ned » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Don't be afraid to immerse the bow knuckle going upwind. The lighter the breeze the deeper you should immerse it.

Downwind is different and be aware that the boat if left to it's own devices will be content to go down the mine. Setting up the rig with rake similar to the later Bieker boats mellowed that tendency some and the use of the rudder foil should also add some depuckering.

Daggerboards have gotten better over the years so if you're having some issues upwind remember to check it for shape and finish quality and that it's in the boat straight...

doug123

Post by doug123 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Cheers for the advice - much appreciated.

j.harkin
Boat Number: nzl40

Re: ICE Design

Post by j.harkin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 am

just having a geez through the forums and stumbled across this photo of my new boat! i brought magic dragon last month and will be going for the maiden sail in a few days time hopefully... if huey tows the line and keeps it below 10kts. it has a t-foil but i was told that to keep it simple i should take the foils off for the first couple of sails. will this help at all or just make the boat harder to sail? also, can anyone tell me what the chine step things just under the racks are for? i am guessing for lift and stability but i cant sea how having them above the actual chines will help
cheers,
jordan
Attachments
magic dragon.jpg

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I have a similar design with out the fore deck. Those 'spray rails' are actually measurement points.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm

As Pirate said, those rails are at the measurement points. The rule requires a certain minimum beam (now 1040mm) at a vertical distance of 200mm above the bottom of the boat 2134mm aft of the bow. The rule no longer allows these measurement bumps, but there is a grandfather clause so yours is ok provided the hull is not modified. However, this minimum beam has been reduced since your ICE was built so you could probably chop them off if you wanted to. Some top competitors have not bothered to chop them off, so don't worry about them.

Regarding removing the horizontal foils from your rudder to simplify your first sail(s) on the boat: That would be fine provided the wind is ten knots or less. Much more than that and the boat will tend to submarine on the offwind legs, particularly bearaways. Proper weight placement and boat handling can keep this problem at bay at significantly higher windspeeds, but you're just getting the feel for the boat. The horizontal foils, when adjusted to provide negative lift, will keep your bow up in much higher winds. BUT, if you keep them in the lifting position while trying to bear-away, disaster is likely. Leaving them off for the first time or two in 10 kts or less just gives you one less thing to worry about.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

ASA

Post by ASA » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 pm

That is really similar to my boat, except yours has "humps" is this boat in Australia, it looks to be a double chined Ice Hull