Carbon Spreaders

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Carbon Spreaders

Post by Northshore Pirate » Wed May 18, 2016 4:43 pm

I am going to build carbon spreaders for US1112 as the old ones are too short to get proper mast bend. The Cherub site has some great info on this and there are several VIDs on line. How do I finish the outboard end to take the shroud?

I saw Brad Devine's set up and was gong to try to copy it. It might be too complex though.

Ed

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Carbon Spreaders

Post by Shu » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 pm

I did the following when I shortened my spreaders, essentially copying the previous spreader ends as built by Kris Henderson (or perhaps Joe Bersch):
1. I bought a couple 0.25" thin-wall stainless steel bushings.
2. I drilled holes about 3/8" in from the spreader ends. The holes were just big enough for the bushings (a press-fit is best).
3. I epoxied the bushings into the holes.
4. Using a hacksaw, I cut a slot on the spreader tip through the bushing. The slot was just barely big enough to fit the shroud through.
5. After cleaning up any sharp edges with sandpaper, I drilled a small hole through the spreader just inboard from the bushing, and just big enough from some light lashing line.
6. I popped the shroud into the bushing and loosely lashed it in place. I tape the spreader tip to allow the spinnaker to slide over it with ease. To minimize crevice corrosion, I remove the tape after every regatta; it allows the stainless steel shroud to breath and maintain its microscopic oxidation layer.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Re: Carbon Spreaders

Post by Northshore Pirate » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Any idea what the sweep back angle typically is for the lower spreaders? I am about to attach the new lower spreaders and my boat seems set up for 40 degrees. It s a fixed installation.