T Foil Control

Moderators: Shu, rand

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

T Foil Control

Post by Northshore Pirate » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Do the rules prohibit automatic control of the 'T' foil with a mechanism such as what is used on the Moth?

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: T Foil Control

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 pm

I can't find anything that would prohibit such an automatic system.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 am

The system on a moth is for the centerboard foil to keep it lifting out of the water.
the rudder foil is controlled the same way as a 14... what are you talking about?

Hendo..

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Post by Northshore Pirate » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Hendo:

The general concept would be for:
• some non-electronic non-manual control using a device that senses the bow being depressed, and transmits a control to increase or decrease the angle of attack of the foil on the rudder.
• Control device that would sense if the stern wave was attached to the transom and make the pitch appropriate to move it aft.

The reference to the Moth was generally for the mechanism not the whole system. What started me thinking along these lines was the Moth Worlds race with waves. You could see that the control mechanism was clearly in driven oscillation with the waves and would get it all wrong shooting the moth upward. When you look closely at the pictures some of the moth wings clearly have flow control devices on them Flaps and even leading edge slots that look like they are designed to force the bow down or at least kill the lift. NASCAR has spoilers that are deployed automatically to kill the lift so the cars don’t go air born. This mechanism is very simple, and mechanical.
I have been attending a lot of boring meetings lately which has me doodling. I even thought about a ‘dive plane’ on the bow.
Ed

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:08 am

I like it Ed.
It could be a level bobble device or a mercury bobble that sent a signal when the bow was too down and so on..

Hendo.