Kicker Purchase

Moderators: Shu, rand

mwattsi14

Kicker Purchase

Post by mwattsi14 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Hopefully a very quick question for someone.

Since converting to a pull vang (with the under boom lever) its never quite worked as it should. I am just stripping out the old under foredeck purchase to remove some friction. At the same time I am wondering what purchase people are running as a comparison.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Watts
GBR 1534

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: Kicker Purchase

Post by Shu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 pm

You can get away with quite a bit less purchase if you have the under boom lever. I have a conventional vang and use 36:1 purchase.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Paul Galvez

Post by Paul Galvez » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:23 am

I believe mine is 24:1 but need to confirm.
The main benefit aside from having more crew and daggerboard space is that it helps isolate the mast from the high kicker loads - so the mast can remain straight even at full power.
Conventional kickers tend to push the goose-neck forward with a vengeance, distorting your rig tune and over-stressing everything in it's path including anchor points on the hull. I carry very little lower tension due to the design of the under lever. It is wise to add an internal stiffener inside the boom for this kind of setup. You take load off the mast but it now goes to the boom (compression on the bottom front).
The system works very well as long as it is engineered correctly. Hope that helps.
Paul

mwattsi14

Post by mwattsi14 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am

Can anyone share pictures of their setup.

We have to fit a new system to our newer ship as we have transferred across the rig from our previous boat. The mast is not setup for a Gnav so we are looking at converting the boat to a standard kicker or under boom lever.. We are currently airing towards the simplicity of a standard cascade kicker but its not beyond the realms of man to convert the old Gnav bar to an under boom lever.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Watts
GBR 1534

Paul Galvez

Post by Paul Galvez » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:08 pm