Non-Skid

Moderators: Shu, rand

Chris Johnson

Non-Skid

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Question for the group.

The non-skid on my boat is desperately in need of replacement - it's well worn and was never grippy enough for a 14 even when new (for reference, Ultra Tuff if not a good non skid for an I-14...). I'm considering 2 options for replacement and wanted to see what people's thoughts and experiences were with them.

1) Kiwi grip non-skid paint. This looks like a great option and would be pretty easy to apply over my existing paint. Does anyone have any experience with this? How well does it work? Is it too heavy for a 14?

2) Foam. I've seen a number of boats with large areas of foam cut and glued down to the deck. That seems like a great option and would be very light. Does anyone have experience with this? How well does it last? Any suggestions on where to find it, what type, thickness, etc... to get?

Other good options that I'm missing? I don't have a huge amount of time or budget to throw at this, so am looking for something that's reasonably simple to apply myself without having to completely sand off all of the existing paint.

Thanks!

JakeSkala

Re: Non-Skid

Post by JakeSkala » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Chris, I went with Seadek for the floor of the cockpit on my B3 three seasons ago. My cockpit had fairly worn non-skid so I was able to just lightly acetone the floor, peal off the paper and apply the foam. It has stayed completely adhered even on the edges. I haven't applied it to the round racks to I can't speak to how well it would stick there. It provided perfect grip the first 2 years. I was out in some heavier wind and waves last month and notice it's not quite as grippy now but I doubt I'd replace it sooner than 4-5 years. I used 3mm but they may only have 5mm now.

Chris Johnson

Re: Non-Skid

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Jake.

It's good to know that the sea deck didn't require an overly preped surface. Unfortunately, they only have the 5mm now which seems a bit thick. It's also a good bit more expensive than the KiwiGrip. So, I'm leaning towards that, but still considering the SeaDeck.

If anyone has any experience with KiwiGrip, I'd be very interested to hear it!