Trailer mounted gear box

Moderators: Shu, rand

Pirate

Trailer mounted gear box

Post by Pirate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Matt and i need racing experience this summer and will have to travel to get to the events. We went to the HPDs and found we were not very organized. It took for ever to set up the boat and pull the gear out of our car. We are thinking about building some sort of storage for the bits on the trailer. Does anyone have designs for a box to be mounted on the trailer to hold gear?

Design Considerations:
• Put the boat on top? Box on top with the boat under?
• How to get the boat on top.
• Hold the ‘T’ foil, boom, CB, I sails
• Access port so most everything can be gotten to without taking the boat off the top of the box
• Lid support
• Method for securing the boat to the top.
• Making it water tight or not.

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Trailer mounted gear box

Post by rand » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:51 pm

How long is forever? It takes me at least two hours to rig (too much talking!)

Chris built a few trailers that have lots of storage right under the boat (about a foot tall box), hopefully he will see this...

I can get all my boat stuff in the boat, but often the rudder travels in the car (just easier), tools and extras boat stuff in the car as well (ok, the "car" is a 1990 4Runner, maybe that is what you need? Tailgate is a requirement!).
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:11 pm

I have a box trailer with a hard lid that opens on gas struts, the boat slides on top and all the gear sit's underneath. The boat easily slides off the back, then pop a lever and the lid opens and there's easy access to all the gear. I'll post some pics when I get home.

The Fireball guys have trailers that have the box on top, but you have to climb up to get everything out and it's added windage when on the road. A box unerneath is the go.

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:29 am

I know Brad R, Paul G and the seattle crew all have very nice aluminum box trailer set ups. I assume they're all custom one offs, but would love to know who built them. You guys reading this thread?

malasete
Boat Number: 1176

Post by malasete » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 am

As Rand stated, I have built two of these. For mine, I started with a old jet ski trailwer I found on Craigslist for $100, extended the tounge three feet to get the balance right, added 3/4" plywood floor and built a14" i.d. box from there with 4 more sheets of plywood. Finished it off with whatever latex paint I had kicking around, I think the first color was white. Its not pretty but gets the job done and is light enough that I can pull it with all the gear behind my 1999 Audi A-4. Its lasted 5 years now and its do for a rebuild but I cant complain about a $300 investment thats lasted 5 years.
Cheers
Chris

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Anyone have Pictures?

JakeSkala

Post by JakeSkala » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Ed,
I have a similar goal so I look forward to reading and seeing your results. I have snapped some pictures in my quest and will try and post them for you. My 2 cents:
-Wood appears cheap, quick, easy to build but is heavier, hinges + doors can degrade, less secure, longevity is questionable & appearance depends on painting -I suppose.
-I may go with wood for the first iteration (mistakes) then go $$$ with metal?
-If I'm not mistaken or overstepping, I would say Paul, the Seattle guys and BWR (not seen) all have beautiful set ups.
-I believe Paul G's has a grated bottom so things can dry, he says road slop doesn't come up but he's in SoCal and Midwest or NE slush and snow.
-I heard the Seattle guys mention a vice mounted outside would be cool.
-BWR has a space for ice and beer (no surprise there!)
-Don't forget about your mast plan or multiple masts? The Seattle guys interestingly, have the mast bases fwd and low and the tips trailing high behind like outriggers.

I plan to build my storage box with the following ideas:
- Slide the long stuff in the middle from behind, the sides will open out for easy anytime access with the door panel acting as a shelf to place things on.
-Typically I load my boat at home alone and try to be early to the boat yard so my boat on the bottom with box on top is ideal.
-Many regattas I'm towing other boats so I hope to make a box somehow that can move up above boat, below a boat, onto a car or left behind if necessary.
-Toronto Worlds - I assume containers will be on the island ? but probably individual trailer will not?
Hopefully we'll connect this summer at a regatta!
Respectfully,
Jake Skala
Attachments
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg
110219_i14 SoCal 050.jpg
110219_i14 SoCal 058.jpg
110219_i14 SoCal 059.jpg

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Here is Chris's trailer. It can double deck which is sweet.
Attachments
IMG_0394.JPG
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 am

The Seattle trailer to which people refer started as a 6x10' (I believe) aluminum landscape trailer. You know the ones with the expanded metal grating for the back gate that serves as a ramp for lawn equipment? It was easy to convert to a box trailer capable of holding 3-4 well equipped teams' gear and carrying two boats in Bieker cradles and 2 rigs on each side. We did all the work ourselves with the exception of welding the mast supports.

You could start with a painted metal trailer which would probably be cheaper. There are also a number of sizes available. The key features are large tires, good bearings and the carrying capacity both in volume and weight. The nice features of the landscape design are the convenient rails for tieing and lashing. With a landscape trailer as a base, it is relatively simple and quick to build your trailer. If you only plan to carry one boat, then buy a smaller trailer with a box ling enough to carry a boom and mainsail.

Step 1: Install old fashioned beer bottle opener on the side. This assists in completing the remaining steps.
Step 2: Install two bulkheads down the length of the trailer. We made one large center compartment and two narrower ones on the sides. At the time, the center compartment was wide enough for safe storage of rudders with fixed foils. Due to new designs they no longer fit. The side compartments are intended for crush proof sail storage.
Step 3: Cover the trailer with aluminum. This could easily be plywood painted with epoxy and then a UV coating.
Step 4: Cut down trailer ramp to make it an access door. Again, we used aluminum, but this could easily be plywood. You can use any number of systems for locks and hasps. A rear access door provides easy access with boats on top to your beer cooler and other necessities for example wheel bearings, jack, etc. in the event of a breakdown.
Step 5: Attach mast storage. We have our racks on the sides and carry two masts on each. We carry butts forward and tips high with the idea that it is less likely to be rear ended with themn above vehicle height. If we were not carrying a third boat on the roof of the suburban, I would consider carrying them on top with the butts over the car to reduce rear overhang and swing when going around corners.

The attached phot shows the trailer loaded without the third boat on the suburban. We own the suburban between three teams and co-own the trailer between two.

Happy building.

Joe
Attachments
box trailer.jpg

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 am

Here's two trailers, both designed to take Cherubs (12 foot) or I14s. One is designed as a regatta trailer and can take double decker with 2 boat's gear. Both were designed to be low enough to cut down on drag when towed with one boat behind a standard sedan. Getting the boats off is easy, just slide them off the back until the wheels from the dolly hit the ground, walk to the front of the dolly & wheel them away, same process, but in reverse to get them on. Can be easily done by one person as long as the trailer is chocked so it doesn't move when you pull/push the dolly on/off. I usually have it attached to the car when doing this. Both have hard topped gas strut lockable lids and access from the rear while the boats are on top. The build cost is arounf $6000 aussie when they were made a few years ago, both custom made.
Attachments
IMG_2781.JPG
Image004.jpg
Double Decker