Foot holder options ?

Moderators: Shu, rand

mechoption
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Foot holder options ?

Post by mechoption » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm wondering what people do to help keep their feet in place when on the wire? My boat came with foot straps, but they are rather sturdy and I fear breaking my ankles should I capsize. I also have an abrasive finish that isn't too bad - just wondering what the big guns do on modern I14's (I'm running an older Penny).
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Foot holder options ?

Post by rand » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

My crew goes strapless :D I have two pair of Dakines at the back, I've never got stuck in them when hitting the ditch. I've heard about broken ankles when feet got stuck in the plastic tubing route so beware of that.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 am

My most recent experiment has shown that mountain bike inner tubes will not break your ankles...mainly because you can't get your feet into them :oops:
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Colin Smith

Post by Colin Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Often known as "donkey strap" as allegedly Chris Turner originally sourced it from the local donkey sanctuary where it was used as bridle material, this stuff's pretty popular over here

http://www.ovingtonboats.com/products/608

Carefully riveted to the rack with some backup plates it works well. And you can make the loops just the right size for your own feet! (with some slack so you can exit easily when the inevitable happens)

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 am

I thought I once saw break away foot straps that were some kind of tough plastic with a weak link in the middle. After you bailed and broke it, it then just clipped back together? Maybe it was on a 49er?
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

rand

Post by rand » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a break away foot strap someplace. The fellow was making them for Windsurfers where I guess you need to be really locked in. The two parts connected right next the the aft attachment point, a maybe 3/16" stainless pin held them together. Very strong until your weight shifted to pulling on just the outside of the strap and then it would come apart. The only problem I could foresee (I never installed it), was trying to get the pin back into the strap when it was blowing 30 with a 3 foot chop on the Bay...

And since I've hardly ever even felt a tug from the foot strap when I was really launched, I decided I didn't need to worry.
Rand Arnold

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:32 pm

One of my friends who sails 12 footers suggested we use 3/8" shock cord. Now, we are not very good at sailing the 14 yet, and have not launched.

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:01 am

do you mean launched as in ,the boat ? or do you mean launched off the boat.
This I have done hundreds of times, doesn't seem to slow me down, but I do need a solid footstrap.

rand

Post by rand » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Launched off the boat :D

Used to happen a lot before I got that wing on my rudder, Renee has an awesome picture of me in Hawaii...
Rand Arnold

Kirk

Post by Kirk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 am

I've heard that its a good idea to make sure your foot doesn't go too far into the foot strap. Something along the lines that you should only see your toes on the other side. The one time that I got into trouble, I clearly had way too much of my foot in the loop. It took about 9 months for my foot to stop hurting. In this case, we were just playing around in 10 knots of breeze trying to see how high we could reach by putting the bow as high as possible and the boat way over on it's side. All fun till I lost my balance and spun off the back of the boat....good thing the foot loop ripped off of the rack or my knee would have been a mess. I'm a bit more paranoid nowadays, but that said, it's near impossible to sail these boats well without foot straps. I've tried that before, and it was no fun.
USA1186

niknarly
Boat Number: 1072

Post by niknarly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 am

Hey so i found these by posting a wanted ad on a local windsurfing website.
getting all 7 for $30
I'll let you know how they work out.

Also, how far apart should each strap be from each other (or whats the thinking behind it?).
I was thinking of having 3 on each side. 2 for the very stern, and 1 about 30cm in front.
What do you think?

rand

Post by rand » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm

I have two on each side butted up against each other as far back as they can go. If we are not full on foil then I'll use the front strap for my aft foot, other wise I use the aft strap. If the conditions are knarly enough My crew will use the forward strap, his after leg over my front leg.

Seems to work most of the time :) I've had more than two in the past, but the crew seems to have less need for them (I even sailed for many years with out a foil or straps, made for long flights in front of the bow!)
Rand Arnold

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

After my failed experiment with mountain bike innertubes, I bought some Magic Marine Light foot straps from SailingProShop.com. I have two on each side, all the way back and butted together like Rand has. So far they seem to work well. On the previous boat I had a third pair about 24-30 inches from the transom. These were great for single-wiring downwind, but the mast was much further foward on that boat, so it had a tendency to pull you forward from the intermediate position.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

oliver1000
Boat Number: K1282

Post by oliver1000 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm

I don't have much experience in the class - unlike the others - and barely have had a chance to use the foot straps. However, I use windsurfing straps on my penultimate. They are spaced evenly with about one strap length between each one as shown.
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
Ollie Williams
K1282

rand

Post by rand » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Oh and if it is really knarly, my crew will use the aft strap while I sit in, like when surfing down huge rollers in Hawaii. You all coming to Hawaii right?
Rand Arnold