How can I close my transom more?

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mechoption
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How can I close my transom more?

Post by mechoption » Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 am

Anyone got any neat ideas on how I could go about sealing off the sides on the transom? I find the current 'design' is flawed in that I take on lots of water when I roll tack in light airs :( I was thinking of using fibreglass but thought that might leave a sharp edge and be prone to breaking? Could I use something solid and jam it in place, and then fibreglass over it (what material could I use?). It's for a 1986 Cross III :)
Attachments
IMG_0146.JPG
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How can I close my transom more?

Post by Shu » Tue May 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I think you may want to close that area with triangular pieces (less weight). However, if strength or stiffness at the upper corners of the transom is an issue (there appear to be repairs visible in the photo), the parallelogram-shape you show would be appropriate.

You could use closed-cell pvc foam (divinycell) and laminate a couple of layers of glass or carbon cloth onto it, overlapping the laminate onto the existing transom. 3mm or 4mm marine plywood could also be substituted for the foam. Make sure you have a nice smooth taper between the thickness of the existing transom and the foam or plywood before applying the glass or carbon laminate.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Shu wrote:I think you may want to close that area with triangular pieces (less weight). However, if strength or stiffness at the upper corners of the transom is an issue (there appear to be repairs visible in the photo), the parallelogram-shape you show would be appropriate.

You could use closed-cell pvc foam (divinycell) and laminate a couple of layers of glass or carbon cloth onto it, overlapping the laminate onto the existing transom. 3mm or 4mm marine plywood could also be substituted for the foam. Make sure you have a nice smooth taper between the thickness of the existing transom and the foam or plywood before applying the glass or carbon laminate.
Thanks for the tips. I'm ordering some 1/8" thick corecell/structural foam from Competition Composites, should match up well with the existing thickness for a smooth transition. I think I'll use the parallelogram shape for structural support as it is kind of flaky in that general area, and then spread the carbon fibre out over the previous repairs too (after sanding them down smooth).

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Done using the cell and laminated with glass method :) I tried giving it some good hard yanks and it seems solid. I used thickened epoxy to glue the foam in place, then I could sand down the transition zones, then a single fibreglass layer to seal it up. Would have looked better with colour matching paint, but I happened to have some spare grey paint.
Attachments
IMG_0250.JPG