Penny / OD

Moderators: Shu, rand

Rockthesail
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Penny / OD

Post by Rockthesail » Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 am

So i thought it might be cool to have a place for penny and / or OD owners to swap tips, and ask some questions.

i guess i will start things off.

my biggest set of questions as about spinnaker rigging/ operation. for my boat the pole is a separate control, which i am ok with, but what is the correct procedure for launching/dousing (aka pole first or halyard first)? also i would like to set up the spinnaker halyard on a more modern system that takes up the slack with shock cord, but how do i choose the halyard length?
Matt Connolly
1987 Bruce Boatworks OD14 Standard Rig "ON A PLANE"
Live Slow...Sail Fast

mechoption
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Penny / OD

Post by mechoption » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Rockthesail wrote:So i thought it might be cool to have a place for penny and / or OD owners to swap tips, and ask some questions.

i guess i will start things off.

my biggest set of questions as about spinnaker rigging/ operation. for my boat the pole is a separate control, which i am ok with, but what is the correct procedure for launching/dousing (aka pole first or halyard first)? also i would like to set up the spinnaker halyard on a more modern system that takes up the slack with shock cord, but how do i choose the halyard length?
I'd say switch to the single pull system. I'll grab some shots of mine, it's somewhat similar to what you have already.
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Fri May 14, 2010 12:23 am

my hiking straps i have rigged with shock cord to keep them off the deck.. it makes it pretty convenient.
all the toe straps ive seen go as far back as possible, the furthest back one for the skipper and then the other for crew.. you need to get pretty cozy with each other.
The spin sheets run to the rear block, and then to the front block. although with my smaller spinnaker i find it still trims fine right from the front block.
Attachments
0513001905.jpg
Hiking straps
49er_straps_overlap400px.jpg
49er toe straps (best picture i could find)
49er_straps_overlap400px.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
0513001852.jpg
Spin Blocks
Matt Connolly
Live Slow...Sail Fast

fastair

Post by fastair » Sat May 15, 2010 4:03 pm

details of my boat..
Attachments
IMG_2826.JPG
I like to sail solo...
IMG_1079.JPG
deck detail with spin blocks at the bottom of the mast supports. Way too cluttered..
Too many boats, too little time

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 am

Spinnaker halyard setup for a Penny, and some pics of our boat rigged up - I think we were the first ones out sailing this season in our neck of the woods (2 hours north west of Ottawa). Perfect day for it, even got double trapping for a few minutes when there were some decent gusts.

I misstyped asking about 'toestraps', should have said 'hiking straps" - you'll notice I have none.

Another difference with ours is the vang cleat locations way up on the side, makes for easy adjustment when turning on or off the wind. Also, if you look at the stern you'll notice there's not much transom left - makes the boat empty very fast after our somewhat frequent swimming sessions.
Attachments
IMG_4843.jpg
Front shot
IMG_4840.jpg
Spinnaker sheets = green, Jib sheets = red, Spin halyard = black.
IMG_4844.jpg
Pole setup for spinnaker tack (no user input required)
IMG_4841.jpg
Spinnaker halyard (black) goes around this block and then up the mast.

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 am

I don't think that many boats have hiking straps anymore. I know that I haven't had one for quite some time, maybe 15 years.

However sometimes I do miss them, but I think that they would get in the way most of the time.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 am

Ill take some more pictures of my hiking straps in the daylight.my favorite thing about my strap setup is the shock cord to keep the straps off the deck so you can get your feet under them really easily.

i get the setup of the all in one launch, but could still use some help on how you get the spin halyard from it's exit at the bottom of the mast to the foredeck. also is it standard to have elastic running from the back of the pole to the stern? wouldn't the tack of the sail pull the pole in when you are retrieving it?

i am also confused about your picture of the spinnaker tack set up. i just have a line running down the middle of my pole that is tied off in the boat so when the pole extends the line gets pulled through the pole and therefore pulls the tack to the end of the pole. (once again i can take more pictures when it is light out)
Matt Connolly
Live Slow...Sail Fast

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue May 18, 2010 4:20 pm

rand wrote:I don't think that many boats have hiking straps anymore. I know that I haven't had one for quite some time, maybe 15 years.

However sometimes I do miss them, but I think that they would get in the way most of the time.
I had hiking straps (and used them) back when I had a smaller rig and only one trap. Once we went to a full rig and double traps, the hiking straps were just one more thing to slip on as I crossed the boat, so I removed them.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Wed May 19, 2010 12:23 am

Rockthesail wrote:Ill take some more pictures of my hiking straps in the daylight.my favorite thing about my strap setup is the shock cord to keep the straps off the deck so you can get your feet under them really easily.

i get the setup of the all in one launch, but could still use some help on how you get the spin halyard from it's exit at the bottom of the mast to the foredeck. also is it standard to have elastic running from the back of the pole to the stern? wouldn't the tack of the sail pull the pole in when you are retrieving it?

i am also confused about your picture of the spinnaker tack set up. i just have a line running down the middle of my pole that is tied off in the boat so when the pole extends the line gets pulled through the pole and therefore pulls the tack to the end of the pole. (once again i can take more pictures when it is light out)
Hmm, sounds like I'm 'old school' asking about hiking straps for the helmsman 8)

See attached terrible drawing :) Spin halyard exits the bottom of the mast then goes through a block and forwards to the movable block that pulls the pole out. It then goes around that block and back through the cleat and then to the transom. It goes around a block at the transom then back up through the sock, through one guide point in the sail, and then ties off to the sail.

I guess the tack would pull the sail in - not sure how the modern boats bring their poles in? Mine snaps in with knee breaking force, I think I might loosen it off a bit and let the tack share the load. I think the tack layouts are just two different ways of doing the same thing - if it works don't change it.
Attachments
Rig.JPG
lol

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 pm

still my problem is getting the halyard from the bottom of the mast onto the Foredeck as you can see it exit's at the very bottom of the mast. i suppose i will have to rivet in another block on the mast, or something along those lines.
Attachments
P1010554.JPG
Matt Connolly
Live Slow...Sail Fast

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 pm

as to the hiking straps, here are some pictures. i would suggest trying to get some decent backing behind the screws.
Attachments
P1010549.JPG
elastic attatchent
P1010548.JPG
back attatchment
P1010547.JPG
forward attachment
P1010546.JPG
overall shot of the straps
Matt Connolly
Live Slow...Sail Fast

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Sat May 29, 2010 2:15 am

Rockthesail wrote:still my problem is getting the halyard from the bottom of the mast onto the Foredeck as you can see it exit's at the very bottom of the mast. i suppose i will have to rivet in another block on the mast, or something along those lines.
I think mine may have been that way at some point, but I've edited your picture to show how mine is now laid out. I'm not sure what that line is of yours coming out the mast starboard side, but that's almost exactly where my spin halyard exits the mast, then goes through the block and runs forward.

Thanks for the hiking straps pics. I have identical straps on my boat cover - I guess that's where they went, and I still have them !

We're picking up new jib sheets tomorrow. Current layout is a single piece with both ends tied to the jib, the problem is my crew often find themselves on the wire and the jib sheets in the boat. I'm going to switch to Laser 2 styling and tie the ends of the jib sheets the trapezes so that the crew always has the sheet with them, it should also hopefully tidy up the cockpit a bit and stop the jib and spinny sheets tangling. I'm tempted to run the spinny sheets to the traps too, but not sure how well that would work? Anyone know if its normal to tie sheets to the traps, or is that specific to the Laser 2?
Attachments
P1010554.JPG

malasete
Boat Number: 1176

Post by malasete » Sat May 29, 2010 5:21 am

On my penny I ran the jib sheets to the trap and had continuos spin sheet. This seamed to work well for me.
Cheers
Chris

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Sat May 29, 2010 6:05 am

I do this on my bIII works great!

Rand
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:48 pm

so after my last sail i noticed a disturbing amount of water in my hull, which has put my "all in one" spin halyard project on hold. i pressurized the hull and went around with soapy water and found a couple of little things on the hull, and some pretty bad spots in the daggerboard trunk. does anyone else know of any weakspots i should also check out?
Matt Connolly
Live Slow...Sail Fast