Rigging a mast

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Rigging a mast

Post by rand » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 pm

My Willits mast (long may it live!) needs new standing rigging, 1x19 wire does not last forever :(

Since Dyform is either no longer available at all or at least in small sizes, or at least in the US (I seem to find contradictory info here), I'm thinking about synthetic rigging...

So what are people using? diameter?

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Hannes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hannes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 am

In big boats the diameter (or more precisely, cross section area) of composite rigging is usually calculated based on stretch characteristics instead of breakload. The aim is to have the same stretch as typical metallic rigging, usually resulting in a bigger safety margin on breakload. Stretch characterisitcs for metallic rigging can be found on the Navtec homepage.
It's all in the numbers. CFD, FEA, ... ;)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 am

Westmarine.com says they have 3mm dyform limited to stock on hand in distribution centers. Have you tried this?

Maybe Art at SailingProShop could get hold of some?
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand

Post by rand » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Anybody tried Maffioli VZ?

http://www.gottifredimaffioli.com/en/pr ... ing/vz.php
http://www.gottifredimaffioli.com/en/pdf/VZ.pdf

Art did have an exact quote on this stuff, but figured it would be north of $4.5 a foot.

I think I'm going with Vectran :)
Rand Arnold

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:17 pm

I received the latest APS catalog this week and it has 1/8" dyform for $1.13/ft. But I suppose they printed it before they started running out.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Pirate

Dyform Slicing

Post by Pirate » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 am

You are replacing your standing rigging with 1/8 Dyfore or Vectran, are you using splices, fittings or bowlands to attach it?

Ed
US1112

rand

Post by rand » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 am

If I go with fiber, then then ends will be spliced, the mast connection will be via a t-bar ring like: http://www.apsltd.com/p-7727-t-ball-bail-116-18.aspx, thimbles at the other end.

Why? cause I already have the t-ball holes in the mast...

If I was rigging a new mast, I'd probably figure out another way to terminate them at the mast.
Rand Arnold

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 am

I wonder if the stock problems are just in the US? i just replaced both mine with 3mm dyform wire for about £40. The place i went to had reels of the stuff.

Greg Mitchell

Post by Greg Mitchell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Ted had a vectran based rig - less creep than spectra, although dynex dux is supposed to have most of the creep removed through heat and stretching. go on the large side to give yourself a little extra chafe protection - and use the brummel splice so if a splice slips, it tightens, and doesn't release.

burger

Post by burger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 am

whats the Brummel splice

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 am

USA 1150 - (B3)

dave

Post by dave » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:52 pm

i have a combination of Maffioli and dyform its been on for a year now all good so far
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Just a quick note on the Brummel Splice - Hall Spars did some testing awhile ago and found that the Brummel splice is actually weaker than a standard splice, so they don't use them. The only benefit of the brummel is to provide some additional security at low loads. But, if you properly stitch & whip the splice then that's not a problem. Brummel also takes a good bit longer to do. So, while I used to use them exclusively, I don't anymore. That said, I don't think your choice of splice type (i.e. brummel vs standard) will be the cause of shroud failure since the strength will be oversized to provide lower stretch. Make sure you taper the bury though!

Fréd.
Boat Number: GBR 1463

Post by Fréd. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:15 pm

dave wrote:i have a combination of Maffioli and dyform its been on for a year now all good so far
I Dave,
Can you make splices with the Maffioli Swiftcord in order to have continuous control lines? If so, can you explain the method and upload some photos?
Many thanks, :wink:
Fréd (from France!)
B2 GBR 1463 - Beast is an other kind of Croc' Image