Forthcoming vote on mainsails and other issues

Moderators: Shu, rand

Colin Smith

Forthcoming vote on mainsails and other issues

Post by Colin Smith » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi

This has already been announced on the "general" forum, but it seemed sensible there should be something in "rule discussions"

Following various discussions over the summer about the mainsail measurement issue, the UK has now put forward a request that the World Council move on and put the rule voted on last year (which was put on hold pending discussion of various issues) into effect. There is one correction needed to the wording (one of the issues that led to the holdup in the first place), and so the proposal covers that, as well as a couple of other rule tidyups.

The proposal went to the World Council recently; the intention is to allow 2-3 weeks for any discussion (and if any more proposals are to be made, for that to happen), then start the vote. The UK proposal is at http://www.international14.org/index.ph ... &Itemid=37 or via the front page under world association - class rules - November 2010 proposals

The proposal currently envisages implementation, if passed, upon the rule getting ISAF approval. If there is a strong feeling to change this, now is the time to lobby your country president/chairman/whatever accordingly!

Also, the Australian fleet have submitted a proposal to delay the weight reduction (the current rule will reduce weight by 2.25kg in June 2011 and by a further 2kg in June 2013) by a further two years. I will add this to the website also

Cheers
Colin

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Forthcoming vote on mainsails and other issues

Post by rand » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 am

I don't want to be a sour puss, but, just what does this mean?
Amend Rule 14(a)(ii) as follows: “The head of the mainsail is defined as the point on the Luff, or its extension, level with the highest point of the sail projected perpendicular to the Luff or its extension the intersection of the luff and the upper edge of the sail leading away from the luff, either being extended as necessary”.
Do I have to get a law degree to understand the rules now?

As I understand the word level, it means parallel to the surface of the earth. How does this pertain to the head of the sail when I have it on the floor and am trying to find the area?

If the sail is flat of the floor, then every point on the sail would be level with every other point (ignoring for the moment that the sail does have varying thickness).

I won't even go into how this would never get past an English teacher (if it has a period at the end, does that make it a sentence, or does it have to be a sentence to have a period at the end?)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Colin Smith

Post by Colin Smith » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Rand

It's less to do with needing a law degree, and more to do with the formatting that was supposed to strike out the text to be deleted, having gone missing in action. Corrected now, and the pdf version (linked to at the top) was OK all along. I've also now added the Australian weight proposal to both versions. Please let me know if the formatting goes bad again, it does seem a bit unstable on the site generally sometimes.....

Cheers
Colin

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:34 am

That is very clear :)

Thank you!
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Colin Smith

Post by Colin Smith » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:06 am

We now have an additional proposal on mainsails, from the Australian fleet. This proposal is that we adopt the "maximum angle at the head" approach. So we now have two conflicting proposals on mainsails (this one from Australia and the earlier UK proposal to adopt the "measure the roach" approach) and will need to vote to decide between them.

Full text of these proposals, and of the separate Australian proposal to delay the planned weight reduction by two years, is at http://www.international14.org/index.ph ... &Itemid=37 (I hope the formatting behaves this time!). Vote to be organised soon

Cheers
Colin