So stuff has been happening on this. Here is an email that I sent to the World Council just now - but I would welcome comments from everyone. Ed
Hope you are all having (or have had) a good season.
During Weymouth there was a lot of talk about how we could increase the wind range that 14 races can be sailed in. The UK said we would go away and think if there was any potential rule changes that might help with this. It's taken a long time but we have now got a draft rule.
To give you an idea of how we got here
- I put together the attached document looking at some of the possible options - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xW7xE238Mn0gvL7ZocxxY4yBsDQgvK884XvepxOtGeQ/edit
- There was a discussion at the UK AGM and an informal non binding vote about some of the possible options
Do we put an upper wind speed limit into the rules? 75% agree, 25% disagree
- Do we allow more sails at championships? 80% agree, 20% disagree
- Do we control the size of any additional sails? 20% agree, 80% against
- Do we mandate a wind strength at which the extra sails must be used? 10% agree, 90% against
- Some people in the UK tried a few things in the wind over the winter - Reefed sails (also seen in the States), George's stumping rig and smaller mains with less roach and area (some of them cut from older mains)
- From this a sub-committee was put together to come up with wording for the rule
So what are the draft proposed changes?
1) Change 17, e,i fromSails. Each boat, irrespective of owner, shall have for use not more than one (1) mainsail, two (2) headsails and one (1) spinnaker for use during any one regatta.
toSails. Each boat, irrespective of owner, shall have for use not more than two (2) mainsaisl, two (2) headsails and one (1) spinnaker for use during any one regatta.
2) Add an Event Rules section at the end of the rules with22 WIND CONDITIONS
Races will start, unless:
a) The average windspeed on the course area exceeds 26 knots
b) Wind gusts exceed 30 knots for any duration
c) The race committee considers conditions are unsafe for sailing.
d) The race committee considers the wind is insufficient to manoeuvre the boats or too
unstable to hold a fair race
So why am I sending it to you all? Basically I would like to get some opinions from around the world before putting it in as a formal proposal. Does this sound a sensible change to you? Does it fit in with what people in your fleet are thinking and talking about?. It's always a tricky balance but we have tried to propose a change that will encourage the class members to find the best solution (races will be held in more wind so we need to work out how to get round - and we will be allowed one extra sail to help with this) rather than dictating a change and without adding extra unnecessary cost.
I will also post this to the class message boards to get some wider opinion.
Cheers and looking forward to hearing what you think