My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:53 am

I think I'll stick with Shu 2, as the seven or so iterations between the first boat and this were just trial runs, and not fully developed separate designs.

I don't think the boat will be ready for 2009 San Diego NOOD. Nationals in fall 2009 would be more realistic. It would be nice to have it on the water for a few months and sorted before the Sydney worlds.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 am

Finally, some pics to share.
I've cut the lightening holes and epoxy coated the frames. The black part is carbon fiber reinforcement for the rudder gantry loads.
Attachments
boat in a box, misc may 08 060.jpg
Last edited by Shu on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:32 am

Another view. It kinda looks like a boat if you're used to lines drawings.
Attachments
boat in a box, misc may 08 061.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

dave

Post by dave » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:17 pm

looking good shu
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

dave

Post by dave » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:18 pm

maybe one more clamp ha ha ha
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Yeah, it's easy to run out of clamps. As I carefully finalize the position of each bulkhead, I replace the clamps with screws. Not only does it look cleaner, but I don't have to worry about things getting bumped out of alignment.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 am

Frames all screwed in place and braced. Backbones in position and the shear clamp...well, clamped.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Looks like you're making good progress. Let me know when you splash the Shu2 as I'd like to come see the boat and possibly go for a ride.

Gerrit

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Gerrit, you're definitely welcome to go for a ride.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 pm

There has been quite a bit of progress since my last post.

The forward backbone has lightening holes, epoxy seal coats, and carbon reinf. for the mast step area incorporated. Both forward and aft backbones have been epoxy glued and filleted to the bulkheads.

All the stringers except the tangent stringer have been ripped, round-overs routed, and fitted. The boat shape looks a bit clunky in the photos because the chine logs have not been planed to the shape of the bottom. I am leaving the stingers unfastened for now, so I can remove them as needed to have access to the centerboard case.

The stem pieces have been glued to either side of the backbone. These will be shaped to accept the hull skin.

Cleats for the centerboard case have been epoxy glued and screwed to the backbones. These are the biggest chunks of wood in the boat. the fasteners are relatively large 10 x 1 3/4" bronze screws. The idea is to have the ability to absorb a lot of energy in a grounding. It's much easier to repair/replace a broken daggerboard, than repair a broken boat.

Not seen are the plywood/carbon sandwich panels for the centerboard case. I epoxy glued and screwed the starboard side on this morning.
Attachments
I-14 002.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:22 pm

No pics with this post, but my dad and I finished the centerboard case this morning. This was a tedious process and I'm glad to be finished. First I had to thoroughly brace the frame at the aft end of the case so each side could be free-standing. Then saw through one side, plane, file, and sand the gap to accept the thickness of the centerboard case side plate. Then glue and screw the side plate on. Next, I shaped a small cleat to re-attach the frame to backbone/centerboard case structure. Glue and screw it all together. Repeat for the other side. Somewhere in there I braced the aft end of forward backbone since it is free standing; don't want to find the centerboard off center or out of plumb. I will leave the braces on until I skin the boat.
Anyway, its done except for trimming the bottom of the case to match the fairbody. I'll take a few pics once it's trimmed. Now I have a box that will accept a UHMW cassette for the centerboard.

Next step: final fitting and fairing of the stringers and stem.
Last edited by Shu on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 am

No pics of the centercase yet, but here is my first stab at rendering the sails.
Attachments
D8render9.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 am

Improved rendering with Better shape to the main
Attachments
D8render10.JPG
D8render11.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 pm

I have started buying fittings, so here is the start of the running tally on the $500 challenge. Numbers include tax and/or shipping.

24" x 5/8" solid carbon rod for Trevor B. style lever vang....$68.01
3 harken 16mm microblocks and 1 ronstan series 20 block...$37.67

Total to date: $105.68
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

dave

Post by dave » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am

YOU CAN DO IT !

beg borrow and steal
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island