My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: My new boat

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:Nice work Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of the boat rigged and on the water. And really looking forward to seeing it in person!

As your occasional crew, I have to admit that I noticed a bit of an omission in your description of the cockpit layout. You mention that it's very clean from 5' forward of the transom aft, but don't say anything about the area from there forward to the mast. Does this mean that there's a 1' wide by 6" high space just off the floor that the crew has to squeeze through in tacks? :)

Congratulations again on seeing the project through from start to finish and getting it on the water! You have every right in the world to be proud of it!
Chris,
Just for you, I will stay within the aft 3' or so of the cockpit, leaving 2' of absolutely clean space for you in addition to another 1' to 2' of space littered with stuff like a daggerboard, spin pole and tack line ends, jib cleat, vang, hooks, spikes, and barbed wire. I was going to install some land mines, but I was already way over on my hardware budget.

Also, the boom seems to be a nice height off the deck, and the Trevor Baylis lever vang is pretty onobtrusive. However, I did not get my butt out of the cushy helm position, so we will have to hear from Andy on crew comfort.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 pm

"Trevor Baylis lever vang" I have to laugh, these were all the rage in the late 80's I had one on my Kirby VII... :D
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:23 am

So Rand, you're saying Trevor did not develop the lever vang, just resurrected it?
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand

Post by rand » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 am

I'd say that they predate Trevor and me. Not sure where they came from but I vaquely remember that maybe the we're standard in the Cross III? So maybe the Kidds?

However until Trevor brought them back I had not seen one in a long time.

Oh, and Trevor improved them, mine was a square stainless tube. Not at all light!
Rand Arnold

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Here are some photos of the rigging layout on the finished boat.
Attachments
I14-2-12 066.jpg
4:1 cascade for the jib halyard
I14-2-12 063.jpg
Jib track. The cam cleat on the aft edge of the foredeck is for the jib halyard
I14-2-12 069.jpg
ultra-clean cockpit
I14-2-12 060.jpg
Final cunningham purchase on the starboard diagonal bulkhead. A bungee (disconnected here) runs from the forward spin pole bulkhead, through a block on the spin pole and ties to the short line on the diagonal bulkhead to keep it off-center when retracting.
I14-2-12 055.jpg
final vang purchase against port diagonal bulkhead
I14-2-12 052.jpg
cunningham take up is forward in the rack tube
I14-2-12 040.jpg
foil and vang takeups are hidden in the kickbar
I14-2-12 035.jpg
cunningham, foil, and vang from top to bottom
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Wow, Steve, that is a very nice, clean layout! Well done.

I don't even see the barbed wire in there! (or maybe you're just using that as the kite sheets?)

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Chris,
You'll be happy to know that I've replaced the barbed wire spinnaker sheets with 200 lb test monofilament fishing line.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Perfect! It's lighter than the barbed wire and easier on the hands than that 100lb stuff some skippers use... :)

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 am

Finally, some pictures of the boat rigged and ready to go at the boat park for the San Diego NOOD regatta.
Attachments
I-14 1002.jpg
I-14 996.jpg
The wrinkly sticker is the result of last minute panic to get on the race course. As it was we started the first race 2 minutes late
I-14 995.jpg
I-14 994.jpg
The lever vang detached itself from the boom at the end of the long distance race. We now have a conventional vang. More room to hoist the centerboard now!
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 am

And Sailing!
Photos courtesy of Renee Speak.
Attachments
DSC_4662.JPG
DSC_5790.JPG
Grins.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand

Post by rand » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am

Beautiful! Job well done. :)
Rand Arnold

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks Rand. And thank you everyone else for following this thread and giving me encouragement along the way.

I did something really stupid this morning. I decided to take the covers off and give the boat a good hosing down to get the last of the salt and sand off. After taking off the covers I did not strap the boat back down, then proceeded to position the car/trailer/dolly/boat assembly on a hill next to the hose. Imagine how I felt as I watched the bow tip up in the rear view mirror and the boat slide off the trailer :shock: and make a loud grinding noise as it slid backwards on the asphalt pavement :( .

Surprisingly, the only thing that contacted the pavement was the bottom end of the 5/16" titanium pin for the rudder. It left a 2' long gouge in the pavement, and didn't even bend. The gantry is built like a brick outhouse so it's ok.

Thank God the boat is still fine. I on the other hand, am as stupid as a mud fence :oops: . This boat need insurance to protect it from its owner!
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

spazzymoto
Boat Number: looking to buy

Post by spazzymoto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Shu, that is a work of art! i would be to scared to sail it haha.

Looks beautiful on the water!

How does she go?

Any idea if you will sell the plans?

Rob

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 am

I'm a little scared to sail it myself. But that's what it's for.

It sails beautifully. I've sailed most of the Bieker models: B2, B3, B5, a Morrison 8, the Shu1 and the MadCow. I've not yet had the privilege of sailing a B6. Of all the 14's I've sailed, this is the most comfortable to sail. By that I mean both physically comfortable and mentally comfortable. I feel, dare I say it, in control. I know, if you feel in control, you're not going fast enough. It's speed is quite good, that is when I stop floundering around and actually sail the boat properly.

Again, I would recommend buying a new boat from Kris Henderson. He and I have already discussed a possible way to make a B6 with plywood cored topsides and fiberglass outer skin, for a beautiful wood look. Keep in mind the complete hull with racks and everything is only about half the cost of a new boat. And if you get one from Kris, you get a B6.

That being said, if someone really has their heart set on building their own, I can sell plans, or work with a CNC shop to provide a plywood kit. I will need to reload the design software on my computer (long story), and tweak a few things to make the build simpler. I also have a Shu3 partially designed, which will be a little less forgiving and maybe a little faster.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Post by -TG » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:47 pm

"I also have a Shu3 partially designed, which will be a little less forgiving and maybe a little faster."

really?...so I guess now is the time to start a new thread... 'my new new boat'.

all fun, Steve your boat looks amazing. I was most impressed when you had it on its side in the lot and I could really see how clean the bottom is and get a sense for the hull shape, not to mention the beautiful crafstmanship. Job well done!!
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA