My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: My new boat

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Non-skid finished. Sort of. At some point I will need to give it another coat of paint and granules. Lots of pinholes showing through from the carbon underneath. Maybe saving weight by not priming was not such a good idea. It worked well on the foredeck though, but that was wood and well sanded and sealed. Next step is to remove the last of the tape and start mounting hardware.

And a final detail completed on my foil canting mechanism, courtesy of Chris Johnson.
Attachments
I14-2-12 016.jpg
Another fuzzy photo, but it shows the final paint scheme.
I14-2-12 012.jpg
Chris Johnson custom drilled this clevis pin for just the right grip length. There is now a very tiny fraction of an inch clearance on each side within the cassette.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am

Shu:

Looks like you are gonna make it to the Midwinters. We will be there and ready to help out any way we can with your last minute rush!

Where did you get the gudgeon assembly machined? Is it silicon bronze or another material? How much $ when all said and done? We are hoping to find a cheaper solution to this important fitting than what we are able to produce right now.

Joe

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 am

Shu:

Your posts are very helpful. We have all the fittings off US1112 and have been sanding and sanding! we are going to put the control line on a bracket about 3-4 feet from the stern like the B6. How are you going to mount your bracket? ie. 5200, epoxy, etc.

Also are the PICs of the rudder assemble (including the bronze piece) showing the design you got from Paul Bieker?

Ed & Matt

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 am

Joe,
Bringing another solid crew down with you would help. Given how I've missed self-imposed deadline after deadline, I really didn't think I would make it, so I didn't line up crew :?

As for material, It's not silicon Bronze, it's some other type of marine-compatible bronze. I have it on my work computer, and will try to dig it up tomorrow. It was over $150 for the raw material, so not cheep. Chris Johnson had access to a milling machine, and he made slight modifications to Bieker's design to allow for easier set up.

Ed & Matt,
If you go back several pages on this thread, you can see the construction of the control line pod. It is mostly plywood, with a few bits of carbon reinforcement. The top plate, where the cleats will be mounted, is 1/8" carbon plate. On my boat, the pod doubles as a brace for the rail, so is detailed as a significant structural member. If your boat's rail is plenty stiff and strong as is, you only need it to be strong enough to support the loads from the control lines. Check out some of the pics of the B-6 for a non-structural solution.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:30 am

Joe,

As Steve mentioned, I have access to a mill at work and made the part for him. While I think it came out reasonably well, there's no question that it was designed to be made on a CNC mill, not a manual one!

We ended up using 984 Aluminum Bronze as it was a bit easier for me to source.

When you talk about wanting to reduce the cost of that part, I assume you're talking about the B6? Given the overall goals of that project, targeting that part certainly seems worthwhile. Even producing a few of them at a time in a CNC will be pretty costly. I'm a bit too busy at the moment to commit to much, but once my schedule frees up a bit in mid March, I'd be more than happy to provide any engineering help that I can in helping you develop a less expensive alternative if that's useful. Just drop me an e-mail sometime and we can talk then.

-Chris
cajohnson42 at gmail

And Steve - the boat is looking absolutely incredible! I can't wait to get on the water!

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 am

Thanks, Chris. I am referring to the B6 part, but it is the same issue for anyone building to the Bieker design. The part is running us about $500 at cost with the silicon bronze and the cnc milling. It is absolutely beautiful when it is done, but seems like an area for some significant cost savings. Unfortunately, carbon fittings and lesser grade metals have seemed to fail with regularity. Failure in this area seems to be a regatta endinging event. Under the circumstances, maybe the cost vs.reliability tradeoff is justified.

Joe

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 pm

It took about 3 hours to get all the tape off! The VOCs really did a number on the masking tape. Thank God for respirators! Here's a few more pics. If all goes well, I will be sailing her this weekend.
Attachments
I14-2-12 021.jpg
Look out water, here it comes
I14-2-12 017.jpg
I had to reveal a little of that laminated plywood
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

pburnett

Post by pburnett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Shu,

That is dead sexy, can't wait to see it all rigged up!

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Launched! Whew!
I have a laundry list of folks to thank, and will try to put that together along with some much needed photos.

A marathon of drilling, cutting, fastening, and rigging with outstanding crew and do-everything boat guy Andy McDonald went like this:

Wednesday 10:00 am: Well, getting the boat rigged and on the water the first time, we will probably miss the first race.
Friday 2:00 p.m. Andy joins me to finish rigging the boat.
Friday 12:00 midnight: This is going slower than we thought. We will miss more than the first race.
Saturday 8:00 a.m.: Well, we will at least get the boat rigged and take her out for a spin this afternoon.
Saturday 12:00 noon: Well, we will at least get the mast up and be rigged and ready to go tomorrow.
Saturday 5:00 p.m.: It will be dark when we get to ABYC, but at least we'll have the boat there and ready to rig tomorrow. And so it was.
Sunday 12:05 p.m.: missed the start of the first race by a few minutes, but sailed with the fleet a while.

We actually got in a couple of races in 8-15 kts. And have the following observations:
The boat is feather light on the helm. Bieker figured the correct placement of the rig and foils with the B-5, and I was smart enough to recognize it did not need improvement.
The rounder but narrower bow sections (relative to B-5 and before) are very fast through the waves.
The fuller/wider stern (again relative to B-5) is more forgiving in tacks and gybes.
The boat is fast. When we had our crewing/helming in synch, we were able to keep pace with Ron and Peet on their B-5, even though line stretch prevented us from putting on full positive foil).
We came in dead last, mainly due to severe hoisting/shrimping problems at the weather mark (note to self: get all the twists out of the spinnaker halyard before running it).
We missed our one opportunity to go head to head with Joe and Kris on the B-6 when we started even with them on their weather hip. After fussing with jib cleating problems, we found ourselves a little too close and a bit further back in their slightly disturbed air, and well, you know where it goes from there (note to self - fix jib cleat angle).
Do not use bicycle innertube for foot straps. They are not stiff enough. Gratefully, I was able to stay on the rack due to the feather-light helm, even on the hairy tight reaches in 15 knots (Thank you ABYC for sending us on a true I-14 course).

Sorry, the only pics I have are of the covered boat on the trailer. Did anybody take pictures?
Attachments
I14-2-12 024.jpg
Back home after a successful outing
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Sounds like a very positive first sail, and at least you have something to work on still. Just think how disappointed you'd be if the boat was complete! :)

Congratulations, job well done! Can't wait to see it in person.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 am

Another observation:
I hit the ball out of the park on the cockpit design. There is one line in the cockpit from 5 feet forward of the transom aft -- the spinnaker retrieval line. The centerline kickbar is so much more out of the way than the double style. Best 14 cockpit I've crossed. It does need more aggressive non-skid, but I already knew I needed to add more paint and granules.
Can you tell that I'm stoked about my new boat?
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Dan H
Boat Number: 1515

Post by Dan H » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Lovely job, Steve.
At risk of asking a personal question, how did you do on weight?
Dan

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Nice work Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of the boat rigged and on the water. And really looking forward to seeing it in person!

As your occasional crew, I have to admit that I noticed a bit of an omission in your description of the cockpit layout. You mention that it's very clean from 5' forward of the transom aft, but don't say anything about the area from there forward to the mast. Does this mean that there's a 1' wide by 6" high space just off the floor that the crew has to squeeze through in tacks? :)

Congratulations again on seeing the project through from start to finish and getting it on the water! You have every right in the world to be proud of it!

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Shu:

Congradulations!

Ed & Matt

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Dan H wrote:Lovely job, Steve.
At risk of asking a personal question, how did you do on weight?
Dan
Best estimate, based on what it weighed before I put on the foredeck: 20 lbs over. I would be very close if I had not tried to build it like an Object 2 B5, but rather simply like a B6/H2.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183