My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Re: My new boat

Post by Hendo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Steve,
our rigging page looks like this, some of it has changed but it lets you start thinking about it.
Attachments
Scan_Doc0015.pdf
(947.56 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks Kris. Wow, that's a lot of blocks. Sure glad I'm going with a variation on pinned for the shrouds and forestay.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Steve, looking at that page gets your brain thinking (rigging!) it has almost everything on it , but yes it adds up fast.
People say how come you have so many lines?
Hendo.

Pirate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pirate » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Just took all the rigging off US1112 to move some of the fittings, add the 'T' foil support to the pod, and paint the deck. It is a big pile. Had to label everything and took pictures to remember where everything was. The boat looks so simple without the rigging!

Still debating where to put the control lines for the vang, cunningham, uppers and maybe the jib car: in the middle like the B6 or by the shrouds like the K3.

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:18 am

The problem that Joe and I saw about the K3 (well one of), was the rigging of the control lines forward .
Who goes up there any more!, seems like we spend all our time, foil on and in the back footstraps!

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:47 am

I think the bare minimum is to have the foil control (if not a tiller-extension twist type) and the vang led to the rack about 3' from the transom. The times you need to take these off in a hurry are definitely not when you want to be near the mast. Main cunningham is a control that should get adjusted often, so that should be there too. That's what I've seen most boats do, and that's what the Shu 2 will have. My caps and forestay adjustments are on the mast. The Jib halyard will be at the aft edge of the foredeck. That's about it for me.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:36 am

Ordered the foil control from Ovington today. It seems well thought out and looks good.

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 am

What sort of foil control, Pirate?
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:29 am

Sorry, the twist tiller extension control.

Did you make the bronze part out of bronze because of strenght reasons?
What does the vertical groove do? Is there one on the opposite side?
Attachments
Twist Adjuster 1.gif
Twist Adjuster 1.gif (43 Bytes) Viewed 2948 times

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am

Pirate,
Bronze for strength reasons. I believe a carefully constructed carbon part could work, and would save weight, but the bronze is equally strong in all directions (isotropic), so is well suited for this application. The vertical recesses (one on each side) are for weight-saving.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 am

The gantry is now complete. Here are the latest pictures. My apologies for the poor photo quality. Shown is my backup rudder, which I bought from Paul Galvez. It will serve until I add gudgeons to the Russel Brown rudder Rand so kindly delivered 1-1/2 years ago (and I thought I only had a few months to go at that time). :roll:
Attachments
I14-1-12 008.jpg
Plywood backers added. These primarily act as a form for the six layers of carbon cloth added later to hold the top all together.
I14-1-12 017.jpg
Foil on position. You may ask why is the boat upside down; but I would respond that it is in its only stable position.
I14-1-12 014.jpg
Foil off position. Note the gudgeons are attached directly to the rudder.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Almost ready to paint the decks. The foredeck is sanded and ready for paint. The cockpit has been faired, sanded, and a final sealcoat of epoxy applied. If all goes well I will sand the cockpit area tonight to give it "tooth" for the paint, and then back into the paint booth it goes.
Attachments
I14-2-12 007.jpg
Ready for final sanding.
I14-2-12 005.jpg
The finished gantry. I think I will leave it clear coated for now (I'll paint over the faired floor).
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Paint! Non-skid next.
Attachments
I14-2-12 011.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 am

Hey Shu,

What did you spec for the paint?

-Scott

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 am

Scott,
It's Interlux Perfection, a two-part polyurethane. In the interest of saving weight, I'm applying it directly to the epoxy coated wood and carbon. However, this is a lot less forgiving than using a nice sandable epoxy primer. (I've used System Three's WR 155 in the past).
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183