My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

pburnett
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by pburnett » Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 pm

here is what i have made (Senior Design Project)

We did all of this in Rhino (with the exception of the hull designing)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Thu May 15, 2008 5:36 pm

pburnett wrote:here is what i have made (Senior Design Project)

We did all of this in Rhino (with the exception of the hull designing)
Wow! Very nice rendering. I will try your recommendations and see if I can get better renderings posted. I need to show more stuff anyway, such as the rudder gantry, racks, etc., which I haven't finished designing yet.

I actually like designing the hull in Rhino. It gives me alot of control of the shape. I follow a frame then stringer then skin approach, with many iterations. The stringers approximate diagonals (actually, they are better than diagonals) so it is a good process, but it is time consuming. The design ends up being what I have in my head, not what the software pushes me towards.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 am

How are you going to build it?

Will it have the spin tube below the floor ala B5?
USA 1150 - (B3)

dave

Post by dave » Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 am

Shu wrote:Dave,
Wider sides? Actually there is very little flare, if that is what you're talking about.
maby it just looks that way they all look diffrent in the flesh. What is the max beam you are working on?
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

dave

Post by dave » Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 am

i like the minimi on the front of the braker ha ha it may as well have a pea shooter
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri May 16, 2008 2:41 am

Liquid wrote:How are you going to build it?

Boat will be primarily 6mm Okoume plywood on Port Orford cedar stringers and Okoume frames. I will have significant carbon reinforcement to enable it to hold high rig tension.

I plan on having a spin tube below the floor. Which raises an interesting question. I plan to have the tube on the port side. Do boats with the under the floor spin tube have a similar tube/trough on the starboard side to balance the floatation? I want the daggerboard to be close to the water no matter which side the boat is lying on.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri May 16, 2008 2:51 am

Dave,
Max beam is about 51 inches. That's 130cm for you imperially challenged types.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Fri May 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Shu wrote:
Liquid wrote:How are you going to build it?

Boat will be primarily 6mm Okoume plywood on Port Orford cedar stringers and Okoume frames. I will have significant carbon reinforcement to enable it to hold high rig tension.

I plan on having a spin tube below the floor. Which raises an interesting question. I plan to have the tube on the port side. Do boats with the under the floor spin tube have a similar tube/trough on the starboard side to balance the floatation? I want the daggerboard to be close to the water no matter which side the boat is lying on.
More wood!

I had never thought about flotation issues... nor do I have an answer as I've got a B3.

Here's another question for you: I'm seeing newer 14s with the rigging out on the rack. You going to go that route?
USA 1150 - (B3)

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat May 17, 2008 2:13 am

I should post the spin tube/floatation question on the Tech forum.

Regarding putting the shrouds on the rack, It's a trade-off. You reduce the shroud tensions required, but you develop a tremendous lever in a rather awkward configuration with the hull. I think I will take the shrouds directly to the hull.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

dave

Post by dave » Sat May 17, 2008 7:00 am

Shu wrote:Dave,
Max beam is about 51 inches. That's 130cm for you imperially challenged types.
ah thats my wetted surface beam lol
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat May 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Better version
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat May 17, 2008 3:38 pm

And now in color
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Oops. Last one was supposed to be in color.
Attachments
D8render.JPG
D8render2.JPG
D8render4JPG.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 pm

One last view, then its time to work on the rack configuration.
Attachments
D8render1.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 am

With racks and gantry
Attachments
D8render8.jpg
D8render7.jpg
D8render6.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183