My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: My new boat

Post by rand » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 am

Screwing down the deck makes sense. I just piled bricks on mine when I did it (3/4" Divinycell), worked, but could have been better. I think Chris Benedict used bronze stables when he did his cold molded boats, then pulled the staples after the epoxy cured.

Look'in good!
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:30 am

The staples are nice, since they only leave two tiny pinholes. But nothing beats screws for controlling the clamping pressure. Clamps are good when feasible, but a few nails, staples or screws are usually needed to keeps the parts aligned.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 am

Latest Pictures. Nearly ready for forward floor. Just need to sand the tops of cleats to the precise slope and curvature of the floor, and seal the bottoms and sides of the cleats.
Attachments
I-14 312.jpg
I-14 316.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Pictures of the floor glued in.
Attachments
I-14 328.jpg
The stripes aft are where I've begun squeegeeing epoxy into the screw holes.
I-14 326.jpg
I-14 325.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

SailorMelb

Post by SailorMelb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Fantastic thread! very interesting to read and look through. I'm only 23 but would love to build my own boat when I've got enough time/money/skill. Thanks.
Karl Smith

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 am

Glad you enjoy the thread, SailorMelb.
Here's the latest set of photos. After the big floor installation a month or so back, I'm back to twiddly bits.
Attachments
I-14 333.jpg
Epoxy coating the forward floor, and adding reinforcement to the top edges of the spinnaker trough.
I-14 331.jpg
I rounded over the top edges of the forward spinnaker trough with a 1/2" router bit. For the port side joint between the floor and trough wall, I've added 4 oz. fiberglass cloth to strengthen the joint a bit. Some 4 oz cloth was also added to the strange oblique joint between the floor and forward end of the trough bottom.
I-14 330.jpg
The centerline joint must transfer shear from the girder to the floor (web and flange for the structurally minded); so this joint is reinforced with 5.8 oz carbon cloth. The carbon will also add some compression stiffness.
I-14 335.jpg
I used a 3/8" router bit to round over the aft rail.
I-14 334.jpg
Three corners have been rounded over. Not visible is the thickened epoxy fillet (tongue depressor size) underneath the rail. Some sanding is required here to remove the machining mark (router set a little to deep)
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 am

Cut out the hole for the Spinnaker pole yesterday. Used a 4.5-inch hole saw, which is about the right size for the ICE Spinnaker pole tube. Not shown is the sleeve I will be fitting into the hole.
Attachments
I-14 340.jpg
Seems a shame to hack such a huge hole in the bow
I-14 338.jpg
Say ahhh
I-14 342.jpg
Trying the spin pole tube in the hole
I-14 341.jpg
Pole in position
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:39 am

This morning I put a coat of epoxy on the cockpit floor in preparation for the carbon skin. All that pretty wood will end up skinned with carbon or painted. The hull will remain natural though.
Attachments
I-14 347.jpg
I-14 345.jpg
I-14 351.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:50 pm

It's about time to post some more pictures. I vacuum bagged a layer of 5.8 oz (200 gm) carbon cloth onto the cockpit floor last night. Very tedious getting the peel ply down and bubbles rolled out. I'm glad it was cool and I was using slow hardener.
Attachments
I-14 353.jpg
All the layers prefit and precut. From the bottom: carbon cloth, peel ply, breather cloth, poly sheet or "bag". Note the masking tape; this was removed after the cloth was wet out and all layers placed, in order to keep a place clean and polished for the sealant tape.
I-14 355.jpg
Cloth ready for epoxy. Note the 1" to 1.5" lap up the sides. This strengthens the floor to topsides joint without having to place a carbon or fiberglass tape later.
I-14 356.jpg
All the layers down and the vacuum applied. I added an extra layer of breather cloth in the middle to help keep resin out of the vacuum tube and to better spread the vacuum.
I-14 358.jpg
I used a heat blanket to accelerate the cure. I was disappointed with the amount of heat it provided. Heating pads are more effective.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I've begun the sprit sleeve by laminating about 3 or 4 layers of carbon cloth wound around the spinnaker tube. I epoxy coated and sanded the spinnaker tube several times to make it smooth. I then wet sanded it w/ 400, 600, and 1000 grit prior to applying several coats of mold release wax. This time I tried winding a layer of saran wrap and waxing that as well. That didn't seem to help. The big lump of carbon on top is to provide a place to pound against while attempting to drive the sleeve off the tube; it will be ground off later. As you can see, I've only managed to move it about 1". Surely it is almost there? Maybe the saran wrap is wadding up. I will come back with ice bags for the inside and a heat gun for the outside; The thermal contraction and expansion should provide some additional relief. I had a very difficult time doing this last time as well. If anyone has a suggestion for a better method, I'd sure like to hear it.
Attachments
I-14 359.jpg
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:41 am

Maybe you can use a block and tackle (or a deck winch from the boat next door :wink: ) to pull it off? Line wrapped around the sleeve, tube braced...

The slowly increasing the tension might work better than banging.

good luck!
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Good idea Rand. I didn't get a chance to try it as I tried pouring some dish soap in one end and standing it upright overnight. More banging and it finally came free. The saran wrap actually tore. I will never use saran wrap again for this procedure.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Chris Johnson is having "fun" milling the bronze rudder gantry piece or "pintle carrier". Here is a picture of the partially finished piece.
Attachments
Pintle Carrier.JPG
The crushed velvet presentation is appropriate, given the market price of bronze.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:05 am

The boat's looking great Steve!

Here's the latest update from the east coast:

I finished the bronze piece today (well, almost - I just realized that I forgot a small detail on the second side, so still need to do that...). The rest of the assembly should be pretty quick & easy. Anyone need some "bronze confetti"? I've got a big pile of it now!
Pintle Carrier.JPG

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:08 am

Looks great Chris! I'm sure it will be fine just like it is, as long as I stay on port tack :lol:
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183