My new boat

Moderators: Shu, rand

Chris Turner

Post by Chris Turner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 pm

The new RMW 14 that was recently on display had a compression strut running from the shroud attachment on the racks to the mast step to stop that lever arm.[/quote]

The 14 on display was a B5 owned by Rob Greenhalgh.

Good luck with the project, looking good.

P.S. I have some used foils if needed.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 am

Updated with new costs:
Shu wrote:
Willy wrote:Do you have any budgets calculated.
About $1000 for plywood (bulkheads and skin)
About $300 for port orford cedar stringers and misc wood
$500 for carbon
$200 for epoxy
$1400 for carbon tubing for racks, spinnaker pole and boom
$2500 for foils
$500 for fittings

I have good sails and mast. May have to get new jib to fit.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

burger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by burger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:36 am

500 for fittings, where do you shop,
sounds like at 3am down an alley for those prices.

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:22 am

Well, maybe it's a combination of wishfull thinking, having some fittings already on hand, and keeping it all very, very simple.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Jack Salerno

Post by Jack Salerno » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 am

Steve, I have to agree, $500 for hardware is wishful thinking. Warren and I only budgeted $1000 for our B5 and were off by about 100%.

Keep sending pictures as the build progresses.
adios,
jack

dave

Post by dave » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:10 am

one word steve ebay prove them wrong beg borrow steal after all it's all about the sailing it dosent matter how you get there just have fun doing it.
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

Greg Mitchell

Post by Greg Mitchell » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Simple makes a huge difference.

If you go to pins on the rig, you're saving hundreds. If you sail in areas with relatively constant wind it's not a huge disadvantage.

thimbles/deadeyes on lines like the cunningham, or other less frequently used lines will lighten the budget as well(jib twings, etc). Still need to make sure you can get the purchase you need though.

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:56 pm

The guantlet has been thrown down. And I will pick it up. So here's what I'm going to do:
1. Save receipts and keep a running tally on hardware costs.
2. Spend less than $500
3. Keep everything clean and logical. No funky stuff that doesn't work well just to save cost.

You guys are free to bet among yourselves as to whether I succeed.

Keep in mind my present mast (which I will use) is nearly completely self-contained. Only the vang and cunningham purchase, together with the spin halyard system are in the boat.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

burger

Post by burger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:33 am

Steve you have a great outlook mate, eventhough i was the first to question your $ 500 fitout, and having put 2 new boats together over the past two season and spending atleast $ 3,500 AUD on each ( including fitting out the Mast ) i am now cheering you on, go for it.....

benergy

Post by benergy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 am

hi would you be able to post the rhino file as it is oldish now. I am new to i14 but have full cnc machines capable of cutting entire boat moulds and plugs cheaply. i dont want to use the design just investigate cutting strategies. then wher should i go for getting current designs as cad file?
I can also proudce foil moulds and perfectly matched cores (with offset for glass thickness)

Benergy

Carbon is fast...but brain cells are faster!

dave

Post by dave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:53 pm

where are you from Benergy?
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

bbcoahu

Post by bbcoahu » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Steve:

Looks good, hope that progress is going well. I wondered who you used to cut your pgke. andif you had to translate the rhino fileinto solidworks or something?

Brad (Oahu not SD)

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 am

bbcoahu wrote:Steve:

Looks good, hope that progress is going well. I wondered who you used to cut your pgke. andif you had to translate the rhino fileinto solidworks or something?

Brad (Oahu not SD)
I used Sam Ausmus at Third Coast Composites:
http://www.rainbowboats.com

Rhino has a very nice translation to AutoCAD .dxf or .dwg files, which is what most of the CNC boys seem to use.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:47 am

benergy wrote:hi would you be able to post the rhino file as it is oldish now. I am new to i14 but have full cnc machines capable of cutting entire boat moulds and plugs cheaply. i dont want to use the design just investigate cutting strategies. then wher should i go for getting current designs as cad file?
I can also proudce foil moulds and perfectly matched cores (with offset for glass thickness)

Benergy

Carbon is fast...but brain cells are faster!
I'm not sure that I would call 3 months "oldish". I've probably put well over 100 hours into this particular version of an I-14 design, which is about iteration number 7 since the last design we built. Sorry, but I'm not really keen on turning it over at this point.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 am

I'm looking forward to seeing the Shu 7.

Will it be ready for SD NOODs next March?
USA 1150 - (B3)