One Design 14 Penny ReLaunch

Moderators: Shu, rand

FranzJReck
Boat Number: US 230

One Design 14 Penny ReLaunch

Post by FranzJReck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey Gang,p

Long story short, I took about 8-10 years off from sailing- Started competitive Karting, 125ccc TAG, was fairly successful, but now the class has dried up...
Survived Hurricane Sandy in NJ shore area in 2012, but my trusty One Design 14 US230 was lightly damaged in the 6.5 ft flood waters in my yard...

Quite a lot has changed since 1997 when I was sailing the OD14, now I would like to get back into it again, I still have all the parts, I just need to update things a bit... The hull is still pretty solid, albeit heavy...Would there be any benefit to retro fitting a new style rig to this old skiff until I get my water wings back and then possibly build one ala Shu?
Can't really afford a whole kit and kaboodle Bieker at this point, but I was thinking maybe upgrade/update one big piece at a time over a 2-3 year period while still having fun and training crew (girlfriend)...
I'm not shy of modifying this old OD14 as I go....Has anyone else ever done this?

Anyway, thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Franz in NJ

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Re: One Design 14 Penny ReLaunch

Post by Northshore Pirate » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi:

This is a design to cost trade off. My son and I went through a similar same decision scenario 5 years ago. We didn't have a boat at the time. In fact we had never trapped. (My father did build a number of 14s in the late 40s while at Douglass & McLeod) We did a lot of research. Generally wanted a new rules rig, (25' carbon mast, centerline pole, rudder extension). We hunted for a long time and found a ICE design that had a flat run similar to the B6 but faired topsides rather than racks, almost min beam, carbon mast by CST, carbon boom & pole. It came with a lot of very stiff line, overlapping jib, several suits of rather beat sails, the rudder cassette, carbon rudder & CB. Oh, and a trailer. Including shipping to Oyster bay, NY it was $1,500USD. I kept up a thread, US1112 on this site for sometime on our learning and modifications. I summary we got all the important parts with the boat.

So, what have we done? (Over three years time)
I hired a trainer and gained 16lbs
Added the T foil and with the narrow waterlines forward she pitch poles. This entails creating a canting cassette to hold the rudder and a control mechanism.
Added a self tacking jib and controls. Built the new jib myself to save some money
New spreaders (Selden adjustable) Actually, building carbon ones as the old ones are too short. (May use Brad Devine method for adjusting the spreader length)
New Glaser Main (We found the mast had similar bend characteristics as the ones being used on the B6)
New Glaser Spinnaker
Carbon tiller extensions
Twist grip to adjust the 'T' foil
Hundreds of feet of new line (Main halyard itself is 75 feet)
82 feet of shock cord (bungi cord)
Made a bifurcated mainsheet
Made several hundred Brummel splices
Stripped the hull of all fittings. (Found the bare hull to weigh 56kgs)
About 20 jam cleats (The old ones were shot)
Faired and repainted the hull
New spinnaker sock
Moved the controls to midships
Decided not to add a jibing board
Finally, capsized 62 times in one summer. (we got pretty good at that!)
We learned a lot and it has been well worth it!
However, a B5 already comes with these mods for about $5-7k USD.

Future things
If the rule passes add the wide racks.
Go to the World in San Francisco
Build the fleet around Oyster Bay There are two ODs here
Find new crew as my son has lost interest.

Ed
US 1112

FranzJReck

Post by FranzJReck » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ed!

Where does one look for out of expiration, modern rules boats? Sounds like you got a pretty cool deal...

As I mentioned, a new to me modern rules complete boat is out of the budget at the moment, but I think that an upgrade to my rig/sails that could be dropped into a more modern platform in a few years might be a good start... I'm toying around with the idea of adding some homebrewed "racks" to the current OD hull just to get the feel for using them.... Nothing fancy, just something to train with...

Anyway, thanks for any ideas or resources!

Cheers!
Franz in NJ

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Keep an eye out on your national I14 facebook page, many boats pop up on them. There are I14 facebook pages for most regions.

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Post by Northshore Pirate » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:45 pm

To find a used boat look at the 'buy/sell/trade' section and go back in time. email to see if the boat has been sold. Many are not. The East Coast seems dead but, there has to be boat around. Not all went to the West Coast. Newport & Annapolis had fleets and I am sure there are still boats there, but, not visibly for sale.

You should consider that a new rig is probably going to be around 2k and if you find a used boat the rig comes with it. New sails are 2k for a main, 1.5k for chute and .8k for a jib. A used boat already has these. So, if you have budget for 6k in improvements you probably can find a B3/B5 for about that and sell the Penny.

Check out the Penny / OD thread here.

FranzJReck

Post by FranzJReck » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Update: Got the ol' lil skiff preliminarily cleaned up...2 major storms/floods later (Hurricane Irene and Hurricane Sandy) thought this skiff was gonna be tougher to clean up..[img]
Poorskiff.jpg
[/img]
[img]
DirtySkiff.jpg
[/img]
[img]
Halfwayclean.jpg
[/img]
[img]
Riggingstillfits.jpg
[/img]
[img]
Rememberedvang.jpg
[/img]

Hopefully, the fittings that I re-sealed with 5200 will be water tight....I will test with air/soapy water this weekend....
Hoping to re-launch next weekend if all goes well, still repairing the tip of my centerboard...

Wish me well in this ol' Penny OD....His previous owner lived in Newport back in the mid 90's and had one of his police friends clock him with a radar gun from the Newport bridge at close to 23 knots, so I'm told....

Cheers,
Franz in NJ