Future of the Forum

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rich
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Future of the Forum

Post by Rich » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:05 pm

There has been a few discussions as of late to do away with the forum (make it read only) and move the traffic to facebook where it might get more views. What are the thoughts of the people who are still active here?

Rich
GBR 1474

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Future of the Forum

Post by rand » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:45 pm

I prefer the forums as I get email with new posts for threads I follow and can take a quick glance at my RSS reader to see if there are any new posts.

Facebook is taking over the world, but it is hard to find historical stuff there.

But not many folks post to the forums, and there is little effort to try and direct traffic to the forums.

:(
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:28 am

People can get notifications from this site without having their e-mail overwhelmed with notifications. Facebook notifications can be overwhelming. I like the way this site is structured and I agree with Rand on the ease of finding older posts here. But I'm a geezer in training; I'd like to hear from younger folks.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

birdman
Boat Number: US1047

Post by birdman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 am

33 years old here - not sure if I qualify as a 'youngin'

Hopefully for the future of the class' sake I don't...

I prefer the bulletin board over yahoo or facebook. Although more traffic > than less.

-the other birdman

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I like the forum and facebook. Facebook is good for quickly finding out what is going on, the forum is great for digging up info on rigging setups and builds etc.

Can the forum be set up to one of the ones that links in with Facebook?

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:58 pm

I think it would be great if we could link a lot of the other info out there (Facebook, website etc.) to the forum. Just how is out of my league :)

Maybe this isn't the best place to mention this, but we should work on getting i14.org back...
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 pm

i14.org came out of the US originally i believe and was lost prior to my involvement. i14.org is currently for sale but current price isnt really worth it. I can be reclaimed but requires a trademark or something similar

Linking forum and Facebook's is quite complex due to the nature of how they both operate (throwaway chat vs things worth keeping)
GBR 1474

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Post by -TG » Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 pm

The forum is very useful and I know that people search a lot of topics and get information on rigging and fixing things. In my view Facebook is more promotional and fun for fleet interest. keep both.

How abut updating the international14.org world site?- its looking a bit outdated and unorganized!
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue May 17, 2016 6:07 pm

thats work in progress
GBR 1474

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Post by Northshore Pirate » Wed May 18, 2016 4:40 pm

The new GBR 14 site has a link to this forum.