Boat in country without national class association

Moderators: Shu, rand

smani
Boat Number: SUI 29

Boat in country without national class association

Post by smani » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello

I'm the owner of a i14 based in Switzerland (any other Swiss teams out there!? :) ) and am looking forward to participating in the upcoming Worlds in France. The question I'd like to ask is: what is the practice in countries without an active national class association? Am I correct in assuming one needs to register with the closest national association (in my case, Germany), which will then also assign a sail number to the boat?

Thanks

Sandro

dominicve

Re: Boat in country without national class association

Post by dominicve » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Sandro -

It's great news to hear that there's I14 activity again in Switzerland! Where do you sail?

You should definitely sail as a SUI boat at the worlds.
Simona & I sail ITA-1488, and we also do not have an active national (ITA) class association. This hasn't ever been a problem, and it seems quite desirable that the sail numbers at each regatta represent all the nationalities participating.

We also sailed SUI-28 a few years ago from Ascona (TI) & at the Brunnen Europeans, when we used to live in Switzerland. At the time there were quite a few Swiss boats and a (pretty relaxed) class association, but since then things have been quiet, and I believe that SUI-28 was the most recent Swiss I14 sail number used.
We (and some of the GBR 14 sailors) are sometimes in touch with the other Swiss ex-I14 sailors, so it should be possible to confirm which SUI numbers were already allocated.

You should have a measurement certificate for your boat, too; if you don't already have one you'll need to ask an I14 measurer in another country to help get this.

Happy sailing & see you on the water soon,

Dominic

Colin Smith

Post by Colin Smith » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Sandro,

Welcome to the 14 class! Yes, we have this situation from time to time of boats in countries without an active class association. You are right I think - get in touch with another country and ask if they will register you as a member, although in a different country. The UK has certainly done this before, don't know if Germany have, but I'm assuming they would be the best country to associate yourself with, if only to help get information on events in Southern Germany and so on which you might like to go to. Any problems, please let me know via "secretary" (without the " ") at this website and we'll sort something out.

Look forward to meeting you in Carnac, yes as Dominic says it's helpful if you sail under -as you should anyway! - a Swiss sail number as Isaf have rules about the number of countries represented at a Worlds and although we meet those OK, it's always nice to have another country in the bank! But more importantly, Carnac should be a great venue and it should be a very enjoyable event.

Regards
Colin Smith
Class World Secretary

smani
Boat Number: SUI 29

Post by smani » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello Dominic and Colin

Many thanks for your replies!

We are actually located in Ascona, but I guess I joined the club after you sailed there since I don't recall seeing other i14s in the past couple of years. Where do you sail from, Dominic? Would be fantastic to meet up some time if we are close! If there are some other boats in the region we could also look at organizing a little regatta some time next spring / early summer :)

I do have a boat certificate, though we are waiting for a new set of sails, so those will need to be measured - is this something which can be done on-site at the worlds or do we need to take care of that before?

I'll get in touch with the German class and check whether they can pick us up as members.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Cheers,
Sandro