Mainsail mast top lock

Moderators: Shu, rand

panduro
Boat Number: N001

Mainsail mast top lock

Post by panduro » Sat May 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Im getting fed up with my main dropping 2 inches because of cunning ham and gnav pressure, i wish to remove my halyard and just install a masttop lock, as i have been told that most of the class Uses.
Currently i have a halyard with no lock on it at all which also Causes some unwanted bend in the top of my soft mast.
Have attached pictures of the top of my mast so you hopefully can guide me.

I have tryed Google several times but cant Seem to find any links, any pictures, links or info on it.

Would someone be so kind to share a picture of Their mainsail lock. Any info and advice, links to products Will be apriciated greatly.

Best regards
Bent
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

oliver1000
Boat Number: K1282

Re: Mainsail mast top lock

Post by oliver1000 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Is this actually legal -
Rule 12 d
All sails shall be capable of being fully lowered while afloat, without detaching the forestay or requiring that the
boat be capsized.
http://test.int14.org/wp-content/upload ... -Rules.pdf
Ollie Williams
K1282

panduro

Post by panduro » Sun May 03, 2015 11:50 pm

Hey Oliver and thanks for your answer,

I dont mind Having to put her on her side to "hoist" but i woudnt like Having the difficulties of Having to tip her over again to get it down.
i sometimes cant Dock safely without talking down the main.
people use my Dock as Beach and swim there also, slalom between wavebreaker, 30 swimmers and the dock in 15 knots has given me a trip on the rocks once last year. Evade swimmer, get speed again, evadee swimmer, loose all speed and stearing, boat turn and Pick up Way to much speed, boom crunch grrrrr.
So in Wind i need to be able to get it Down so i Can Dock for just job, just tying it to the top simply isnt an option, and also isnt class legal either.

So i need some type of bracket that has a release line going to cockpit.
Best regards
Panduro

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Mon May 04, 2015 5:41 am

CST make what you are after

http://www.cstcomposites.com/markets/ma ... cessories/

CST-029-1 or CST-029-2

AUS666
Boat Number: AUS666

Post by AUS666 » Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 am

I'd suggest using the following simple retro fit halyard lock.

You'll need two single bold saddles (like a U strap), a 3mm roll swage eye and some rope.

1) Put the two saddles under the upper bolt attachments, make a rope loop by tying each end of a length of rope to the saddles. You'll need to adjust the length of the loop so that the mainsail finishes up at the black band.

2) Replace your existing halyard with something smaller (like 3mm, don't go too small otherwise it cuts your hand when you are trying to lower it) and tie the roll sway onto the end at the top of the mast.

With the mainsail up, pass the loop (in step 1 above) through the head eyelet and put the shaft of the 'eye' swage though the loop. Pull the sail down to lock the loop onto the pin. To lower the sail, pull the pin out via the old mainsail halyard.

I put a 3:1 purchase in the mast on my boat to make pulling the pin a bit easier but you'll work that out.
Attachments
mainsail popper.JPG

panduro

Post by panduro » Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 am

Dicko and 666, thanks for answers, its highly appriciated!

Dicko, yes something store bought and easy to use
I assume that u insert it horizontally into the the masthead, but Can you explain to me what route the realease Line should take from there?

Aus666
Looks like good option also, Will prob take a little tinkering to get working but looks good.
How is the pin held in the place, does the bigger head of the swage just holds it "automaticly" and do you ever experience premature release( LOL sorry)?

Again thanks for answers
Bent

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524

Post by EdS » Mon May 04, 2015 7:34 pm

The other option i have seen is to put a standard spinnaker pole end into the top of the mast and having a strop on the top of the mainsail.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Post by -TG » Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 pm

never had a problem with the CST mast lock, its simple light and easy. Run a thin line down the inside of your mast exiting the bottom side. Just have to have room at the dock to flip boat and slide main in from the top, which adds wear on to your main a bit, (at least where we launch), but its a solid system.
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

AUS666
Boat Number: AUS666

Post by AUS666 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 pm

The CST is a good option. Just note that it goes into the mast from the top so you'll need to chop the 'crane' fitting off the top of your mast and re-do the kite halyard attachment. And for the record, no premature release in the 5 years that I have been using this system :D

The little ridge on the pin helps hold it in place.

Note the small shackles are used to attach my uppers and ring is only used to simulate the mainsail eyelet.
Attachments
mainsail popper 2.JPG
mainsail popper 1.JPG

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue May 05, 2015 12:56 am

-TG wrote:never had a problem with the CST mast lock, its simple light and easy. Run a thin line down the inside of your mast exiting the bottom side. Just have to have room at the dock to flip boat and slide main in from the top, which adds wear on to your main a bit, (at least where we launch), but its a solid system.
There's a mainsail saving alternative I've been planning for when I go back to a CST-style lock: put a becket block on a strop, and put the strop in the mast-top fitting. A 2:1 halyard runs through the becket block. This way you can raise the sail with the boat upright, then tip it over to detach the becket block and halyard, and connect the head of the main to fitting. It should be a clean set up.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

panduro

Post by panduro » Tue May 05, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for all answers,

As i have Used halyard until now i have no ideer how Big of an issue is mainsail wear when hoisting on side? OFF course id like my sail to last as long as possible, so i Might have to figure out how i Can keep the main halyard, but it just had a tendency to kink at the wrong time. Would like less strings on my boat, not more :lol: .
Or maybe ill just have to put a Big tarp on the Ground under the sail to minimize wear.

I love the ideer of the cst lock or the spinnaker lock, but id prefer not to resort to cutting of the mast head and Having to redo spinnaker attachments, so im gonna try 666's way.
Thanks for pictures they Helped alot and it looks like a good simple system.

Best regards

Bent