East Coast Racing

Moderators: Shu, rand

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

East Coast Racing

Post by Northshore Pirate » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Any ideas how to get some racing started on the East Coast? Is there any way to tell where the boats are?
Used to be a fleet in Newport, Annapolis

I live in Greenport, NY (end of Long Island) we have wind in the summer and there is a great bay here with deep water that would be a great venue. Also, there is Sayville on the Great South Bay,
And don't forget the American High Performance Dinghy Open.

Oakcliff is again running a High Performance Clinic. I did this last year and it was great. Held my own with the kids in FXs and Nacra 17. But learned a lot.

BTY, how does one join the US Class?

Ed Chimney
US 1112
DSCN3726.JPG
Ready to Go!

BWR

Re: East Coast Racing

Post by BWR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Ed,
Great to hear 1112 still kicking and out there sailing. Contact Yvonne Galvez to join class. Glad to hear you went to Oakcliffe for some sailing, I would enjoy doing that. As far as east coat sailing, majority currently in Toronto and some in Kingston and Hamilton. There are still a few boats in Newport, but the owners have not been very motivated and apparently have not been sailing their boats much, if at all. There used to be fleets in Annapolis as well, but I'm fairly sure all those boats are gone. There are several boats in the upper Midwest, Wisc. and Minn. that sail during the summers, would be worth a trip out there for a long weekend at some point. Long trip, but lots of sailing out here on the west coast. Winter/spring a great time to bring the boat out and sail a few events like Midwinters and NOOD, some of the Canadians have done this in the past. We can sometimes help with boat storage and movement if we coordinate it all. Missed you in Toronto.
BR
former owner of usa1112

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Post by Northshore Pirate » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 pm

BWR
Yes, US 1112 is still around. We are taking good care of her. Looks a little different than when you sailed her. We added the 'T' foil and brought the control lines up to date. Added a new Glaser main and Spinnaker and a new jib built by me. Painted the rig

The Oakcliff Clinic was a real learning experience. Some of the take aways:

The 14 is a lot harder to sail than a FX. They can use the wings for added stability especially in the turns

You develop your boat handling very quickly by setting two buoys 100 yards apart either up wind or down and have 5-6 boats sailing around them at the same time. It really simulates race conditions.

Old guys can sail these boats. There were 11 kids ages 16-22 and me, I definitely kept up with them. (Of course 4 nights a week at the gym probably helped).

BTY, these kids are really dedicated, Oakcliff teaches them not only sailing but how to run a campaign, eat on a budget, and how to raise money.

Ed
IMG_20120520_180155.jpg

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:54 pm

I believe Peter Stanton and Avram Dorfman are active out of Newport RI.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

matt d

Post by matt d » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:46 am

Hi Ed, your best bet to race with other I14s in the East is to come to the Ottawa Skiff & Cat Grand Prix (June 6/7), CORK in Kingston (August 15, 16, 17; best breeze), or to one of the various events in Toronto.

We'd love to see you out!

Cheers

Matt Davidge