Q&A with Brad Devine

Moderators: Shu, rand

JayCox

Q&A with Brad Devine

Post by JayCox » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:45 am

A great technical Q&A with Brad Devine from Geelong. Some pretty amazing systems on his b5, including a rig taken from a 16' skiff that has adjustable spreaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fp0shHPxug

Something I think about a lot in sailing these boats (I sail a B3) is the tradeoff between simplicity (which leads to better boathandling) and tweakiness (which, in theory, leads to better speed in a wider range of conditions, or even just upwind / downwind). At this point I am confident we have enough work to do on our boathandling that simplicity wins, but it's really cool to see what tweaks are being made at the pointy end of the world fleet.

Jay
USA 1147

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Re: Q&A with Brad Devine

Post by -TG » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Jay, while Brad's boat is complete off the hook, from the way it looks to its adjustability, and it looks sick and the systems he has are insane... the boats that went 1-2 at the Worlds were probably more similar to your boat in their lack of adjustability. Simple controls, pinned rigs in many cases, (adjustable forestays)... just go sailing.

so you are right, there is a trade-off, but many at the top have gone back to basics.
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:41 pm

There was an interesting comment I read somewhere by Glen Truswell regarding the tweekiness of his world's winning boat. I'm paraphrasing here, but he started out with adjustable everything, and as they found certain sweet spots for each control, would eliminate each one in turn, to the point where they sailed worlds with very few controls, and made very few adjustments to those controls.

Now if you can just figure out the sweet spots before you set your boat up... :roll:
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

SCi14
Boat Number: AUS673

Post by SCi14 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 am

The benefits in having a fully adjustable rig is not necessarily just for racing, but for tuning/training. Glen and Sam would have spent an enormous amount of time on the water during practice to get their pinned settings right - plus they are extremely talented sailors, so we should all be careful following their lead on boat setup with the expectation to achieve similar results!

Having the ability to be able to fine tune the rig on the water assists in getting the most out of each session, especially when two-boat tuning.