M12 Rig Settings

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BBSCFaithfull
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

M12 Rig Settings

Post by BBSCFaithfull » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Hello All,

Trying to get a comparison of rake and rig settings so we can formalise ours.

Does anyone have a record of the mast rake they run with across the board?

Also what tensions are people running? We have a CST 14.

Cheers,
Alex
Upright not upside down!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: M12 Rig Settings

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Since I'm not seeing any response from M12 owners, I'll take a stab at it.

I believe the M12 has the rig in the same position as the B5 and all subsequent designs. You can check by seeing if the centerline of the mast step is 7 feet aft of the stem, or 7 feet fwd of the transom, i.e. dead center. If so, the basic settings of a B5 would be the place to start. The rake is measured from the black band on the aft edge of the mast down to the bottom edge of the transom next to the rudder gantry. 8150mm is the most forward setting for light air, and 8000 is the fully raked setting for those days when it might be better to stay inside and watch TV. In between those two, people have different preferences for the wind range for each rake setting, depending on their particular rig, sails, crew weight and style.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:03 pm

As for shroud tension, using the professional Loos gauge, shroud tension (assuming you have 3mm 1x19 or dyform wire) ranges from maybe 28 or less and upwards to 40. Only the very strongest, new boats dare go near 40 however. I wouldn't hesitate with my boat, but I built it very strong and stiff. Most people find it unnecessary to go above 36 or 37. An old B2 should stop around 32 or 33. I'm not sure where a safe upper limit for your particular M12 is. This is where some input from other M12 owners would be helpful.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

BBSCFaithfull

Post by BBSCFaithfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks Shu,

Interesting reading!
Upright not upside down!