Boat in a box - the Shu3

Moderators: Shu, rand

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Boat in a box - the Shu3

Post by Shu » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Last night I glued the center panel onto the boat, using clamps on stringer material to apply even pressure to the edges, and weighting down the panel onto the inside framework, being careful to apply the weights directly over the framing so that the panel doesn't deflect between supports. I could have used cleats to screw the panel down to the inside framework, but this panel is flat, and I will be able to access these joints and apply fillets, cleats, and/or tabbing when the boat is turned upright.

Then this morning before work I was able to rout a rabbet into the starboard panel edge. This rabbet will accept the top layer of the two 2mm layers of plywood I'm using for the curved part of the hull.
Attachments
IMG_3332.JPG
Lots of clamps and weights to hold the glue joints together while the epoxy cures.
IMG_3334.JPG
The first piece of the hull skin is now attached!
IMG_3337.JPG
I set up a fence to run the router along to provide a clean, consistent width for the rabbet.
IMG_3340.JPG
Here's the rabbet. It's approximately 1" wide and 2mm deep.
IMG_3343.JPG
Starboard side routed and ready for the two layers of plywood to be cold-molded over the rest of the bottom.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:32 pm

With rabbets cut on both sides of the panel, it is time to start cold-molding the curved part of the bottom. As I learned on the Shu2, it is best to run the outside ply grain as perpendicular as possible to the direction of curvature. This results in more even curvature and matching between the edges of adjacent panels, which should mean less sanding to fair the bottom. Here at the aft end of the boat that's pretty much fore and aft. I've decided to use battens to provide more even pressure on the joints. Starting from the rabbet joint, I worked outward, screwing each batten down and then bending the plywood down carefully to the next stringer. A piece of plastic at the rabbet joint was used to make sure the batten did not end up glued down to the joint.
Attachments
IMG_3350.JPG
Here's the port side being glued down. I'm using stringer stock as battens to provide even gluing pressure from the screws. The cans are providing weight to apply pressure to the nearly flat part of the joint between the frames and the skin. It's easier to get even pressure along the more curved parts of the joints.
IMG_3346.JPG
This first piece on the starboard side came out pretty fair; I'm pleased.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Here's the first outside curved panel. It's 15" in the fore and aft direction, which seems to work ok. I'll try to use that dimension for the next few panels too. There's more curvature to the chine in the middle of the boat, so I'll have to go shorter there. I use staples to hold down the battens. They are not as easy to remove as screws, but they leave smaller holes.
Attachments
IMG_3352.JPG
The first outside skin of the cold-molded portion of the boat.
IMG_3355.JPG
Not bad.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Looks great Steve!

It's starting to really look like a boat!

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:09 pm

If I recall correctly Chris Benedict used bronze staples when doing his hulls, and then pull them out after each layer (well the ones that could be pulled, I'm sure some stayed behind).

Can't wait to sail against your new boat!
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 am

I think some of my staples are monel just in case I can't pull some of them. On the Shu2, all came out.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

GER_PL
Boat Number: GER 242

Post by GER_PL » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:53 am

I heard that somewhere polyester staples exist, which can be sanded and the left in the boat ... why not use them?
-----------------------------------------------------------
GER-242 - Dortmund - Germany

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:33 pm

That is worth looking into.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 pm

My father built about 1500 Thistles cold molded. He shot the staples through an inner tube then pulled the inner tube off with the staples.

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Cold or Hot? either way that sounds just brilliant. Much better than carefully prying each one out one by one, without digging into the plank.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Shu:

I woke up at 3am and remembered seeing stacks of Thistle hulls on a truck going to somewhere where there was an oven. (US Plywood, maybe in Michagian) This was a long time ago. I think, later Douglass & McLeod used Resorcinol glue which eliminated the baking.

Ed

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:07 pm

The hot-molded hulls are amazing. Essentially you are creating one sheet of plywood that is in the shape of a boat! For small boats it could be the most robust lightweight hull construction available. Paul and Yvonne Galvez's classic I-14 has this construction, and the hull feels very solid like well-constructed solid fiberglass laminate, but probably 1/4 to 1/3 the weight.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't have much to report lately; each piece of plywood looks pretty much the same as the last.
The first layer is half-way done, and that has used up most of the first sheet of 2mm plywood. That's about right; including the second layer it's 1/4 of the way done, and I have a total of 4 sheets of the 2mm.
-Steve
Attachments
IMG_3364.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3365.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:31 am

It has been awhile since I last posted here. I had knee surgery in August, and now, like my boat, I have titanium and UHMW parts :wink:
Lots of laying around with my leg elevated, so I took a month off from doing any work on the boat. However, I've started working on it again, and here are some progress photos.
Attachments
IMG_3391.JPG
Here is the status of the boat a day or two before (my) surgery
IMG_3394.JPG
Pre-surgery
IMG_3396.JPG
Here's the G-rated version of my knee surgery the day after. Unfortunately the quads have atrophied considerably since then!
IMG_3398.JPG
Here a couple more panels are glued and temporarily screwed into place. There is quite a lot of twist in the bow area, so I need to use a clamp to help twist the top (bottom) batten while it was screwed into place
IMG_3399.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG
Getting close to the bow with this first layer
IMG_3404.JPG
Here, the battens have been removed
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

BWR

Post by BWR » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Looks great Steve, keep it up! Sounds like the knee is progressing as well. Keep working on the ROM and strengthening. Advantage of people surg. vs. boat surg. - stuff grows back together! Missed you last week in Richmond. Know you'll be back out soon.
BR